Highlighted

Rearranging layer issue when other layers clipped above

New Here ,
Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Community

A slight annoyance here. Whenever I try to move the entire layer up or down the stack, and that layer has other layers clipped (adjustment layers, etc) those layers do not follow. In other words, it moves only the "parent" layer, leaving the clipped layers unclipped and in place on the stack. I have to select the parent and it's clipped layers to rearrange them together. Is there a way to force the clipped layers to follow it's parent? I am not sure if that behavior was any different in older versions – i do not remember having this issue in the past (runing 21.2.3 on Mac now)

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by r-bin | Adobe Community Professional
This behavior was in very old photoshops where moving the base layer caused the clipped layers to move.
Starting with version CS2 (year 2005) the behavior became what it is now.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Rearranging layer issue when other layers clipped above

New Here ,
Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Community

A slight annoyance here. Whenever I try to move the entire layer up or down the stack, and that layer has other layers clipped (adjustment layers, etc) those layers do not follow. In other words, it moves only the "parent" layer, leaving the clipped layers unclipped and in place on the stack. I have to select the parent and it's clipped layers to rearrange them together. Is there a way to force the clipped layers to follow it's parent? I am not sure if that behavior was any different in older versions – i do not remember having this issue in the past (runing 21.2.3 on Mac now)

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by r-bin | Adobe Community Professional
This behavior was in very old photoshops where moving the base layer caused the clipped layers to move.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 03, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To move layers together, you could

• Shift + click to select the multiple layers and move them together
  • Shift + click to select the multiple layers, group them, and move them together
  • Shift + click to select the multiple layers, right-click, select Convert to Smart Object, and move the smart object (you can later right-click on the Smart Object and select Convert to Layers if you want the original layers)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 03, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 03, 2020 1