• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to reassign Timeline Playback Shortcut

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When working with video timeline  I am painting and panning the canvas with the space bar key. But when I press spacebar and not pan it starts to play the timeline and the play head moves to the next layer which is very annoying. This problem was reported a long time ago but the problem is not fixed yet. There whould be a way to disable the shortcut key for the play button in the video timeline. Else the video time line is a feature of no use for animation artists trying to create animations in Photoshop. Just cant work with this. Please fix the problem. Its been really long since this bug got fixed.problem.jpg

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
32 Comments
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2019 Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Abby,

Pressing the spacebar while creating frame animations in Photoshop causes the animation to start playing. The spacebar is one of the most frequently used keys in Photoshop for navigation purposes so having it also perform this other function is annoying as balls. Can we please get a way to change that function or disable it altogether? And yes I already know you can go to Edit>Keyboard Shortcuts>Panel Menus to adjust the timeline hotkeys, but this one in particular isn't there.

Thanks,

Sleepless in Seattle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 06, 2019 Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy William,

Okay, well, I won't suggest customizing the keyboard shortbut...but I'll add this as a feature request and thank you for your elloquent user workflow scenario!  8-)

Hoping Seattle gets a little sleepier,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 27, 2019 Aug 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had been facing this issuse since years. Check this page- https://forums.adobe.com/message/11063113#11063113
Just wondering how many decades more will it take for the fix. Its really ridiculous ....its a problem with your design and Adobe team really dosent seem to care. I dont need the problem fixed anymore...Coz i switched to blender....I just came to check if Adobe team still sucks the same till date.... Im happy to use blender coz I can chat with the blender developers live every few months and they respond with very quick updates too. Adobe on other hand just cares abt making money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix this problem as I had been waiting a long time for it be rectified. This is a very powerful feature in Photoshop but unfortunately not usable for this very small issue that many are facing. I hope it will be fixed at the earliest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix asap, simple and necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could we have any answer or clarity on this? Makes the whole timeline workflow unworkable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use spacebar quite a bit so having it activate the timeline playback is pretty inconvenient

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 19, 2021 Sep 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they wont fix it, is there a plug-in that anyone knows of that could assist? This is infuriating. Makes using this to animate nearly impossible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I found this tip by Pete Green: 

"Double-click the Timeline panel tab which will minimize the timeline tab. From there you can use Space to toggle the move tool.
Double-click the timeline panel tab again to bring it back up and the video shortcuts should work again."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thing: what about slightly readjusting one's habits and get benefits?

I tried the trick I just shared, but I also noticed that the spacebar does trigger a play if you just briefly hit it...

BUT, if I make a long press on the spacebar, I do get the hand tool that lets me pan in my image...

Another solution would be to use the H key to trigger the hand tool, giving you also a temporary way to navigate in your image, plus the "birds eyes view" that lets you pan in your image like in the navigator panel...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

I tried to make a frame animation, but I noticed really early that there is one problem. When I want to pan around my work, I press the Spacebar, but that also triggers the playbutton in the timeline and my animation starts playing, which is really distracting and annoying. So I have to pause the animation and find the frame I was working on over and over... There is no way to turn this off, so I would really REALLY REALLY appreciate a way to somehow turn this off. This seems to be a problem to a lot of users since 2019, and some of them already reported this issue, but it still exists...

So yeah, TLDR: An option to...

-change the hotkey for the timeline playbutton and/or a checkmark to freeze the animation in the timeline settings.

-change the hotkey for the hand-panning.

Thanks in advance.

-Patrick

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2021 Dec 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder why there is no way we could change the animation shortcut for Timeline (Frames)..

This is causing me so much trouble when I am editing the shape of the current frame, because I have to hold Space to move around the canvas and many times it plays the animation causing the timeline to move to a different frame than the one that I am editing.

I am using Latest Photoshop 2022 v23.1.0 on Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been really bothersome for me as well. I'm used to doing quick pans with the spacebar held down and this happens to me once every 5 minutes on average when working on animations. This is really frustrating, please fix this. DX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wanting this feature too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's literally been years, is there any response to this problem yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE FIX THIS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another animator chiming in here. The spacebar to play and pause gets in the way ALL THE TIME. This needs to be a re-assignable short cut. PLEASE ADOBE

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE FIX THIS ADOBE! WHY ARE WE PAYING YOU SO MUCH MONEY FOR SUCH A MEDIOCRE PRODUCT AND ROCK BOTTOM SERVICE??? YOU CAN LITERALLY RE-BIND ANY OTHER KEY TO ANY OTHER ACTION, WHY IS THIS ONE SO DIFFICULT? If you can't, can we at least get an explanation that is not "we don't care you'll pay us anyway".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOOOL. Can't believe this isn't fixed yet! SO FRUSTRATING

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2022 Aug 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIX THIS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Patrick, in my experience, a short press does start play/stop, while a long press does give you the pan. Did you also try the Z key as an alternative?

Indeed, this discussion is one of the many that highlight the need to be able to customize hardwired KBSCs

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm surprised you don't know the seriousness of this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't understand. This is a huge pain. NEEDS TO BE FIXED PLEASE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe? Is there any word on this?  With Battle Axe's Timelord and several other animation extensions making animation in PS more robust than ever for animators and motion graphics artists, it looks pretty silly that years later in 2023 your customers are still asking you to implement the smallest conceivable feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came up with a fix that is working for me and you will kick yourself when you hear it. 

Keep your left mouse button pressed while you let go of space.*****

This will stop the timeline from keying up the playback.

Not a rebind fix, but this should answer how to stop it. You'll just have to relearn that your panning needs to end with your mouse button still pressed.

This could also explains why it has remained an issue to a degree. It's similare to the quick color picker toggle. It shares another shortcut input. Obviously, this should be fixed, but I can see why someone trying to recreate it doesn't have the same input issue. Other software follow a similar constaint mouse holding sequence to avoid input overlap. 

I hope this helps! Was driving me crazy...

Votes

Translate

Translate