Recent files missing again and again

New Here ,
Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok,

can someone tell me why my recent files disapear every freaking time Photoshop updates?

This is so annoying.

Cheers,

Matija

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by D Fosse | Adobe Community Professional

Don't rely on the recent files list. It's a bad habit. Recent files is just a quick convenience, it's not intended to replace a proper file browser like Bridge or Windows Explorer.

The recent files list just contains static pointers to a certain location on disk. It's a snapshot of where the file was at that time. If the file is removed/renamed/deleted in the operating system, the link becomes dead and just points to an empty location. It doesn't actually track the file like a file browser does.

TOPICS
Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Recent files missing again and again

New Here ,
Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok,

can someone tell me why my recent files disapear every freaking time Photoshop updates?

This is so annoying.

Cheers,

Matija

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by D Fosse | Adobe Community Professional

Don't rely on the recent files list. It's a bad habit. Recent files is just a quick convenience, it's not intended to replace a proper file browser like Bridge or Windows Explorer.

The recent files list just contains static pointers to a certain location on disk. It's a snapshot of where the file was at that time. If the file is removed/renamed/deleted in the operating system, the link becomes dead and just points to an empty location. It doesn't actually track the file like a file browser does.

TOPICS
Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 09, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 09, 2020 1
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply.

Unfortunatley I've grown to distrust the recent files menu because of the apparent non-reliability but it's just a convienent way to get to my files faster because a work with a gazzilion number of files and sometime I just don't know where some of them are stored.

Now let's see if they fixed the brush preview...

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 09, 2020 0
D Fosse LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"a gazzilion number of files and sometime I just don't know where some of them are stored"

Well, with a 10 TB archive to manage here at work, I can sympathize with that. It happens to me too, although I pride myself on having a transparent and efficient folder tree system where I can find most of them quickly.

For a while (before we got a full DAM-system) I used Lightroom and keywords. It's actually very efficient.

But "recent files" is and always will be unreliable. It's good for retrieving a file you worked on earlier today, but that's about it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 09, 2020 0