• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recolor the black in a PNG a single color in Photoshop

New Here ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a PNG photo of the outline of a leaf (laYer 4). I added onto top of a parchment background layer (layer 1) in photoshop. I want to recolor the leaf a shade similar to the background but slightly darker. I've tried adding an adjustment layer to the leaf layer and have played around with the hue/saturation or Selective Color adjustments. But when using these tools I need to adjust several different parameters to find the color I want. I'm not a colorist and I've spent 30 minutes doing this by trial and error and am not getting a color anywhere near the shade of the background. there must be an easier way where I can select the color or simply enter the RGB or CMYK color to recolor the black. Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screenshot did not attach in my original post so am including it here.

Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 8.10.01 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So do you want to adjust the outline of the leaf to a color similar to the background  and not the interior of the leaf? You can do many things: change the leaf's blend mode to maybe multiply and lower the opacity. Or you can clip a solid color layer or even a copy of the background layer to the leaf, then add clip a curves or hue/saturation layer to that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the eye dropper tool to select your background color. And then open the color picker panel and select a shade or two (below) the current color.

image.png

Unfortunately, your leaf drawing has many artifacts and is probably not the best quality image for what you're trying to do.  Adobe Stock has lots of leaves that might work better.

https://stock.adobe.com/search?k=leaf

image.png

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response. I was able to follow the first part -selecting the desired color. However, I don't understand how to change the black and the other shades in the leaf outline to that color. Can you elaborate? 

Thank you for the link to the Adobe stock photos. I'm actually looking for a sketch of a leaf similar to the one in my screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do you have the leaf on a separate layer (I hope)?  It makes object selection much easier.

See link below.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/replace-colors.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines