Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recoloring of Clothing with artefact

Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

i would like to recolor a jumper from one color into another color --> light green into scin color. This works just fine for the majority of the article. But I have a purple shimmer around the buttons. How can i avoid this. Are there any tricks or tipps how i can do this. (The color of the button is not important since it will be put onto a seperate layer)

Christian5C7E_1-1605699476434.png

Christian5C7E_3-1605699553612.png

Many Thanks

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

A Gradient Map Layer set to Blend Mode Color would be one option. 

Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 13.06.03.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

shadow.png

I suspected that in RGB mode the color shift in the shadows was caused by the fact that changing a channel’s tone level automatically changes the channel’s color to some degree and vice versa.

I switched to Lab Color, where tone resides in a channel separate from color. (I could not choose your exact green and skin for a test because there is no flat color area to measure. I settled for something in the neighborhood.)

The shadow color shift was eliminated.   

I would like to try it with y

Votes

Translate

Translate

This looks very nice - can this also be used to recolor images to a needed color, like the example given? 

Yes, Christian, with Lab Color, you are able to change an object to another color with precision.

You must mark a point on the object where you want to achieve that color. 

By the term “flat color” I am referring to a monotone color swatch – one without any texture. 

In my test, Green color (Lab L65, a-15, b16) was changed to Skin color (L57, a7, b9). A simple, precise color change.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 07, 2023 Aug 07, 2023

Hi @Christian5C7E  - I’m Caroline, a Product Marketing Manager at Adobe. 

I'm conducting some research on recoloring assets and think you'd provide some super valuable insights -  would you be interested in a brief interview? We'd also offer a gift card for your time! 

Hi @Tori30907758bol6 - I’m Caroline, a Product Marketing Manager at Adobe. 

I'm conducting some research on recoloring assets and think you'd provide some super valuable insights -  would you be interested in a brief intervi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A close up to highlight the problem

Christian5C7E_0-1605700152908.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And please also post the section of the original image. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your reply!! Beneath you can find the 2 images:

Christian5C7E_1-1605701764709.png

Christian5C7E_0-1605701746034.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screenshot taken at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels (Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible? 

How did you colorize – Hue/Saturation Layers, Curves Layers, …? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here you go:

Christian5C7E_0-1605701837295.png

i colored the images with Hue/Satturation only --> and tiny amount with color balance

Christian5C7E_1-1605701894049.png

i did not use any curve Layers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you change Hue globaly you »move« all pixels along the color circle. 

Checking »Colorize« (»Färben«) might be worth a try. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"färben" does actually remove this pruple shimmer....put it looks a little bit more "fake" i guess. But does solve the problem! THX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Colorize« applies the same Hue to all pixels, the method with a Color-Gradient Map Layer allows to apply different hues to pixels of different brightness. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Gradient Map Layer set to Blend Mode Color would be one option. 

Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 13.06.03.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i will try that :-)! it looks very promising...have to figure out how this is done, since i am still quite far from good 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do i use the gradient map...sorry for this very basic question

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah i get it...thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shadow.png

I suspected that in RGB mode the color shift in the shadows was caused by the fact that changing a channel’s tone level automatically changes the channel’s color to some degree and vice versa.

I switched to Lab Color, where tone resides in a channel separate from color. (I could not choose your exact green and skin for a test because there is no flat color area to measure. I settled for something in the neighborhood.)

The shadow color shift was eliminated.   

I would like to try it with your exact colors. Can you tell me the RGB values and color profile of each of the two colors or the Lab value for each?

If, on the other hand, you are familiar with Lab curve adjustments (far different from RGB) I suggest you give it a try. Good luck. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks very nice - can this also be used to recolor images to a needed color, likle the example given? Could you give me some more information about this so that i can get into this and learn. Need it desperately :-). Thank you so very much. 

And what do you mean with any flat area --> Maybe that all the colors are a mix and?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks very nice - can this also be used to recolor images to a needed color, like the example given? 

Yes, Christian, with Lab Color, you are able to change an object to another color with precision.

You must mark a point on the object where you want to achieve that color. 

By the term “flat color” I am referring to a monotone color swatch – one without any texture. 

In my test, Green color (Lab L65, a-15, b16) was changed to Skin color (L57, a7, b9). A simple, precise color change. Nothing fancy.  The Curves for the change look like this:

curve.jpg

In addition, you can make the product lighter or darker, and/or change local contrast (for example, you can choose to accentuate the weave), all without affecting the color.  

I wrote a brief intro to Lab Color for my students some time ago and if you are interested post a private note to me.  I will hunt around for the PDF and send it to you when (if) I find it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very nice, @Norman Sanders !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Norman, thank you very much for the tip! I found a very nice youtube video which explains everything quite nicely in detail --> the recoloring part. I hope that i can make this process into an action since i have to do this steps many many times (x100)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UAYhFaPTAA&ab_channel=PhotoshopTrainingChannel

thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Norman,

the method works nicely and can be automated. Another question would be, how can i recolor the image into a very dark blue - something like "15171c" - based on the previous image. When i do it with the Lab Color approach, the whites become so very white and the sarks very dark - almost to the point that i can see the article. Would you have any suggestions?

Christian5C7E_0-1605806447741.png

Christian5C7E_1-1605806559126.png

what could be a solution ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Christian5C7E_0-1605806683605.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

black.jpg

You have chosen a point on the sweater that is light black (about a 20% value). It allowed for considerable modeling throughout the darker end of the tonal. You chose to compress those values to 8 points short of solid black, yet hoped to carry modeling into that compressed space…a space in the tonal scale where definition is almost imperceptible. That is a lot to ask. Detail matters.

It would be logical to choose another point in the sweater that can abandon detail for the sake of a near black. For example, consider a dark but not the darkest point on the sleeve where detail can be compromised and meet your chosen color. A possible version is shown above. You can choose to to make it darker; the sacrifice of detail is your call.

Note: A wonderful painter who worked in the 60’s, Ad Reinhardt, created black on black paintings that required you to study the surface for a few minutes before the different geometric shapes revealed themselves. I thought it was great art – but I would not recommend attempting to apply the technique here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool cool cool cool!!! wonderful help!! just epic - learning so much. and will also have a look at the painter :-)! i actually got it to work now. Many thanks for you support 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 07, 2023 Aug 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Christian5C7E  - I’m Caroline, a Product Marketing Manager at Adobe. 

I'm conducting some research on recoloring assets and think you'd provide some super valuable insights -  would you be interested in a brief interview? We'd also offer a gift card for your time! 

Hi @Tori30907758bol6 - I’m Caroline, a Product Marketing Manager at Adobe. 

Let me know if you'd like to proceed and can send over a calendly link (or feel free to DM me)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines