Highlighted

Refine Brush Help

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working with 21.2.4. Attempting to refine hair. The following steps previously worked for me:

1.) Select > Subject

2.) Create Layer Mask

3.) Select > Select & Mask

4.) Using Refine Edge Brush Tool, I feather out to the edges from inside the hair.

5.) Output To: Layer Mask

For whatever reason, when I do this now, I get a whitened, almost grey hair look to the subject's hair instead of a refined edge on the hair. What am I missing? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

TOPICS
How to, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Refine Brush Help

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working with 21.2.4. Attempting to refine hair. The following steps previously worked for me:

1.) Select > Subject

2.) Create Layer Mask

3.) Select > Select & Mask

4.) Using Refine Edge Brush Tool, I feather out to the edges from inside the hair.

5.) Output To: Layer Mask

For whatever reason, when I do this now, I get a whitened, almost grey hair look to the subject's hair instead of a refined edge on the hair. What am I missing? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

TOPICS
How to, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to check this box at the bottom of the panel which will decontaminate edges

Capture d’écran 2020-10-18 à 19.59.28.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 18, 2020 0
davescm LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Make sure you keep the refine edge brush small - it is for edges and if you make it too large you can end up taking pieces out of the wanted area.

Note , if you do get contamination, I would not use Decontaminate colours. It is destructive and does not work well.

Instead , add a new layer abobe the masked layer from Select and Mask. Set the blending mode of that new layer to "color" then clip that layer to the masked output layer (Alt click on the border between the two in the layers panel). Take a soft brush and pick up the hair colur (Alt click ) and brush on that new layer. It will colour the edges without going outside the mask.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 18, 2020 0