Highlighted

Refine Edge Brush / Brush Tool Strokes Hidden while Using in Select & Mask Workspace (PS v. 21.0.2)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2nd REVISED UPDATE:  Exited PS, reopened and opened image I was working on. Now the brush is working correctly in the Select and Mask workspace

REVISED UPDATE: After resetting Preferences and editing a couple of images, the problem returned as described in intial post here. So, is something corrupting Preferences after some editng???

UPDATE:  Resolved issue by resetting Preferences.

Just updated to PS v. 21.0.2. I notice now that after using the Select Subject then go to Select and Mask, in the Select and Mask workspace neither the Refine Edge Brush nor the Brush tool will show me what I am adding/erasing from the mask as I paint. I have to release the mouse/pen to see what I painted. In other words, using either tool makes me paint blindly. In the prior version of PS in the Select and Mask workspace, you can see where the brush is going when painting on the mask.

Using the Refine Edge and Brush tools in Select and Mask used to work like the brush tool works when painting on a layer mask when not in the Select and Mask workspace.  I'm at a loss!!

Some things I have checked:

In Select and Mask workspace I have tried all View modes and have Show Original unchecked.

I have the latest NVIDA drivers installed.

I reinstalled PS.

In the Cursors settings I have Normal Brush Tip and for Other Cursors Standard

I have the latest Wacom driver installed.

I get same behavior using mouse and Wacom pen.

Windows version: 10 Pro v. 1909 build 18363.535

PS. You can see what I mean in the short video using the Brush tool. 

Topics

Bug, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Refine Edge Brush / Brush Tool Strokes Hidden while Using in Select & Mask Workspace (PS v. 21.0.2)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2nd REVISED UPDATE:  Exited PS, reopened and opened image I was working on. Now the brush is working correctly in the Select and Mask workspace

REVISED UPDATE: After resetting Preferences and editing a couple of images, the problem returned as described in intial post here. So, is something corrupting Preferences after some editng???

UPDATE:  Resolved issue by resetting Preferences.

Just updated to PS v. 21.0.2. I notice now that after using the Select Subject then go to Select and Mask, in the Select and Mask workspace neither the Refine Edge Brush nor the Brush tool will show me what I am adding/erasing from the mask as I paint. I have to release the mouse/pen to see what I painted. In other words, using either tool makes me paint blindly. In the prior version of PS in the Select and Mask workspace, you can see where the brush is going when painting on the mask.

Using the Refine Edge and Brush tools in Select and Mask used to work like the brush tool works when painting on a layer mask when not in the Select and Mask workspace.  I'm at a loss!!

Some things I have checked:

In Select and Mask workspace I have tried all View modes and have Show Original unchecked.

I have the latest NVIDA drivers installed.

I reinstalled PS.

In the Cursors settings I have Normal Brush Tip and for Other Cursors Standard

I have the latest Wacom driver installed.

I get same behavior using mouse and Wacom pen.

Windows version: 10 Pro v. 1909 build 18363.535

PS. You can see what I mean in the short video using the Brush tool. 

Topics

Bug, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Advocate ,
Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both in Photoshop 20.0.8 and in 21.0.2 I can't get the selection tools to work properly. Under Select and Mask the Refine Edge Brush and even the regular brush do nothing when I brush over edges of selections. Sometimes the selection looks changed if I click OK and return to my layers panel, but what good does that do if I can't see what changes are being made under Select and Mask while I am performing the brushing. It is working blindly. This happens around 50% of the time. Sometimes I don't even have to reload an image to observe different behavior. I only have to click on "Select and Mask" again and there is a 50% chance that the refine edge brush will work and 50% chance that it won't work. 

On a related note, Photoshop crashes 100% of the time if I try to use the Select Subject tool. When I submit a crash report, I get a message from Adobe to use the Select Object tool instead. This at least is a good workaround.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines