• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[removed] photoshop crashing - go back to older version

New Here ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my latest version of Phtoshop continually crashes, to the point I just want to ditch it, keep also getting " could not complete your request because of programme error"

Is there any way of going back to a workable edition

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why on earth did you uninstall the old one? That's asking for trouble. What is the version you want to go back to, exactly? It's no good just saying "workable", everyone has a different view of that, and different issues (or none).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the Photoshop forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure to back-up your presets then use »Other versions« (from the »More actions«-button, the one with the three dots on the right side) in the CC application to install the previous version if you want to roll back Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: I seem to be experiencing Forum issues where posts appear on other threads … 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+Mine is doing the same thing. I have a fresh install on a new computer. I tried the most recent version of Photoshop and an older version from the Creative Cloud but after using it once, closing it, and opening it again I get the same error: "could not complete your request because of programme error." It gives me the error when creating a new image and sometimes when I go to close the program. I have to go into task Manager to shut it down.

I've tried the usual fixes available on the web, such as deleting the preference folder, but it does not fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very same situation on my computer. I can open a picture in Camera Raw but when I click "Open" I get the message "could not complete your request because of programme error." Shut down only via Task Manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing here too. I have a fresh install on a new computer. I tried the most recent version of Photoshop and an older version from the Creative Cloud but after using it once, closing it, and opening it again I get the same error: "could not complete your request because of program error." It gives me the error when creating a new image and sometimes when I go to close the program. I have to go into task Manager to shut it down.

I've tried the usual fixes available on the web, such as deleting the preference folder, but it does not fix the problem. Customer suport isnt in today but I will try again tomarrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this: Open Photoshop. Go to EDIT - then PREFERENCES - thenPERFORMANCE.

Under "Graphics Processor Settings" Uncheck "Use Graphics Processor."

Seems to have worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problems here. Your workaround works for me as well - thank you for your post. Hope that Adobe will fix this soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to add, that I am still not able to close Ps properly, only via  task manager 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Have you tried resetting your preferences to see if that will allow you to close PS without using the task manager? Here is some information that might help: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michelle,

thank you very much for your message and for your tip. I followed the steps according to the help link in your message. Before, I could not open a picture in Ps - neither from opening it from Lr nor directly in Ps. And this came all of a sudden (no new plugin or anything). And as stated above closing Ps properly did not work either.

I removed the Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings folder and started Ps again. Then opening pictures directly in Ps or via Lr was working again as well as the closing of Ps 🙂

Lost some settings in the preferences and one or the other Ps action. Did not exactly know how to restore this 😉 But now everything is set up again and I am happy that Ps is running again. So thanks again for your help.

Jürgen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am glad to hear that you are back up and running, but I'm sorry to hear that you lost some settings. 😕

I was looking for some info online to see if we could restore your custom settings, but unfortunately, they are gone. I found a good word of caution to keep in mind next time you have to reset prefs:

"Before we begin, note that resetting Photoshop's Preferences file will reset more than just the preferences. You'll also reset your color settings as well as any custom keyboard shortcuts or workspaces you've created. If you want to keep these items, make sure you've saved them (using their respective dialog boxes) before you continue."

Here is the link in case you want to read more: 

https://www.photoshopessentials.com/basics/reset-photoshop-preferences/

Glad you are back up and running,

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Still happy everything is running smoothly again. The actions got lost, however restored within a few minutes thanks to my back up 😉

And thank you very much to provide the extra links - just in case...

Jürgen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines