• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

removing grey on underexposed text page without burning out text in bright spot area ?

Participant ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

CS6.

Copy stand setup photo of a double page spread in an old book,  manages to give slightly burnt out text top left (due to curving page) whilst rest sees a light grey rather than white page with good text.

If I go to levels and drag the white marker to the left I get a decent page white, but the slightly burnt out text top left is now suffering bigtime and being burnt out.

How do I protect/enhance that text top left, lessen the grey there a bit, yet brighten the grey elsewhere to become white or off white, where the text can take the lightening process.

Cheers

Merlin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A graduated mask on the adjustment would be my stock answer, although it would be good to see the image to confirm

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could probably apply the exposure correction in an adjustment layer and utilise a gradated mask to keep it off the bright corner. 

I hope this helps

neil barstow, colourmanagement.net :: adobe forum volunteer

[please do not use the reply button on a message in the thread, only use the one at the top of the page, to maintain chronological order]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put a (clean) glass plate on top to flatten.

Normally this requires cross-polarized light to kill reflections (that's how I do it), but if you're careful to cover reflective surfaces it might work in a dark room too. Make sure the lights are at 45 degrees.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

CS6,

would I be using the graduated mask in RAW converter or after image opened into Photoshop ? I also gather one can open into a smart layer and go back to RAW converter if needed, would that also help ?

I have been advised by a friend to use the adjustment tool in RAW converter hence my question.

I had many to photographic with the clock ticking and in an archival situation so glass on the document and polarizing was not an option, there were alos room ceiling lights that might have caused problems on that rig.

it was tricky enough as the margins and fragility disallowed flattening under glass weight, archival rules would have stopped anything that made for damage. lead weights in a silk sleeve was the order of the day.

Merlin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you opened the raw file into Photoshop as a smart object then you can indeed double click the smart object to open again in camera raw. Then the graduated adjustment or a local adjustment brush would work.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines