Highlighted

rename steps in an action

Explorer ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted about this years ago and there was no way to do it then but maybe now?

It would be extremely useful to me to be able to rename some of the steps in my actions. That way I could for instance do different "save as"es  and be able to switch them on and off and know which is which or have one curve set to clip and one not to and again, to know which I had turned on by looking at the action. I could sort of do this now by just keeping track of the order of the steps I create but that's a headache.  I should just be able to double click this the same way you'd double click to rename a layer for instance.

Thoughts? Workarounds?

Thanks!

Topics

Feature request, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

rename steps in an action

Explorer ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted about this years ago and there was no way to do it then but maybe now?

It would be extremely useful to me to be able to rename some of the steps in my actions. That way I could for instance do different "save as"es  and be able to switch them on and off and know which is which or have one curve set to clip and one not to and again, to know which I had turned on by looking at the action. I could sort of do this now by just keeping track of the order of the steps I create but that's a headache.  I should just be able to double click this the same way you'd double click to rename a layer for instance.

Thoughts? Workarounds?

Thanks!

Topics

Feature request, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thoughts? I think that it would be good to post a cropped screenshot of the action steps fully expanded, or to post a link to the action file download. Examples would be needed of what you wish to rename.

You can name the action and action set, however, many action steps have the name of the actual command, such as Curves. Some steps like adding a new layer can include a name, which is generally better than just accepting the default name. If you had added a new layer and just let if at default such as "Layer 1" then you have a couple of choices, you can re-record the action step to include a name when creating the layer and then delete the original step, or just record renaming the layer which would add a separate step.

It would be nice to be able to add a "comment" entry similar to scripting... which is possible in a way by inserting an action stop message, which can then be unticked so that it does not play and is only used for information.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stephen...I hadn't thought of including an action stop which in some circumstances could be helpful but what I'd really like to do is to be able to give a step my own name.

Here's an action sample I use quite often but if I were able to give the steps my own name, I'd put in a lot more steps that could be toggled on and off. There are three curves in here, each with different amounts of auto clipping and I know by memory what they are. I'd start adding mulitiple other steps as well but it would start getting confusing as to what is what. Sometimes I also want to add a temporary step and it ends up with the same name as the perminent step.  Sorry, it's really hard to describe my workflow and why I'm doing things this way...ultimately, it would be nice if I could just double click on a step and rename it. I do realize you can expand an action name and see some of it's peramiters. 

actions sample.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'd rather duplicate the action with a new name rather than activate sub-steps... double-clicking lets you change settings/re-record a step.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Pec

Yes, making new actions with new names is something I considered but even with in the action I posted, I would likely want to make more curves, more dust and scratches settings, more SRDx settings and more camera raw setting which would get used in any number of combination so that would be a lot of different actions. How I function now is as you suggest which is before I'm working on the scans of a given roll of film that we've digitized, I'll re-record what is needed for that film but that's a lot of bother.

My company specializes in the development of very expired lost and found film - one film to the next can have very different needs.

I posted this a long time ago as a feature request but I'll do it again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, if you have feature requests, you can search or create a thread on the https://feedback.photoshop.com site, watched by Adobe staff. Make sure to provide as many relevant details as possible.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines