• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Render lighting effects not working opens up darker in Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the newest Photohop CC 2020, I can't seem to use Render lighting effects. In my old photoshop, I used spot quite often, but now (in 2020) I open it it is just dark. It does open to the lighting menu, but nothing changes on any of the settings or sliders except ambiance which only lightens the whole image. 

I thought this last upgrade might fix the issue, but apparently not.

[Moving from generic Start/Help forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]
[To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/]

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

The problem with tacking onto the end of an old thread is that things have moved on and the cause of your issue is likely to be different.

If you are using 22.4 or 22.4.1 then read on.

Adobe are updating the core graphics functions in Photoshop. This is driven by the operating systems of Apple and Microsoft in which the old Open GL functions are being removed in the case of Apple, or deprecated in the case of Microsoft. This means that the graphics functions that have worked for years must be re

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

@maraziwazi , did you try to disable the native canvas in Preferences/Technology preview, as stated in the 3D announcement?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

That does not sound good, could you share a screenshot here? It would be helpful for us to review the issue.

Also, could you please try enabling "Legacy compositing" located in Photoshop's Preferences > Performance, then relaunch Photoshop and let us know if it helps?

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Legacy Compositing ticked.

As I launched photoshop 2020 to get a screen shot, I am now seeing some light, but no controls. I have 2 examples here 2018 and 2020 using the same settingsphotoshop 2018photoshop 2018PHOTOSHOP 2020.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2019 Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK...I see my settings on Photoshop 2018 included 2 lights. I eliminated one and it is darker, but I still have more control and most importantly, contol points, How do I find control points (scale, move, etc)?  I think I could make it work if I could activate the controls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2019 Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sahil, I uninstalled PS and reinstalled. Opened up Render lighting effects, and this screenshot is what I have. Now, the sliders seem to respond, but I still have no control points to scale or move. photoshop 2020_2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this exact same issue that Linda was having (also using Photoshop 2020), but was solved after enabling the "legacy composting"! Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which OS version are you using and is your display adapter device driver up to date?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2019 Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Windows 10 with the latest update and my driver is up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried once more and this is what I get. These settings are what it opens with, however no slider works except ambience.

Can't someone give me a suggestion? Or are others having the same problem?render>lighting effectsrender>lighting effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue on an iMac. I have had some random luck but then it just stops working. Ambience and Texture controls work but not the lighting effects. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue.  20.0.1 Release. Windows 10 recently updated. I checked 'Legacy Comositing" and got to the point where it shows the light, but no control handles to move or size the light.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also,...Render Lighting Effects is working fine in my previous version.  19.1.1, on the same maching. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reached out to customer support online. They linked up to my Mac and made some corrections to the software that solved the problem. I suggest you do the same.

Going forward Adobe will probably provide updates to this version of Photoshop. I never had these issues with older versions.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

December 20th, Windows 10, still having the same issue with version 21.0.2

I use this lighting effect often when creating room ambiance for one of my client, it's very problematic.

I'll contact Adobe Support...
(Edit 15 minutes later)...

I contacted them and they did a live support on my computer. The only thing they did was (PLEASE DO THIS IT SHOULD WORK FOR YOU TOO, on Windows 10):
1- Close Photoshop.

2- They went into AppData/ directory, in Roaming, Adobe and Photoshop 2020, (C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020) and they RENAMED the directory called Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings to Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings.old (or you can delete it but you should keep a copy somewhere).
3- Start Photoshop again. Your settings and would be resetted but the Lighting tool will work perfectly 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately it works... but only ONE TIME... Then you have to do it all over again.

I did one picture then moved to the second one and same problem was there. I think we will have to reset the preferences each time we want to use this tool.

Please Adobe fix this issue in next update, it's been problematic since 2020 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour PS 21.0.2 macOS 10.15.2 Malheureusement le filtre éclairage ne fonctionne plus du tout, aussi bien directement sur un calque pixel 8 bits que sur un objet dynamique 8 bits, les curseurs de luminosités n'ont aucun effet, idem pour la couleur. J'ai aussi essayé le mode Legacy", aucune amélioration, s.v.p. testez et corrigez cette fonction au plus vite, dans la dernière version 19, je crois que celle-ci avait été corrigée ! Il s'agit pour moi d'une regression peut-être due à un mélange de version lors de la compilation des version 21.xxx.

Good morning macOS PS 21.0.2 10.15.2 Unfortunately the filter illumination does not work any more of the whole, as well directly on a tracing paper pixel 8 bits as on a dynamic object 8 bits, the cursors of brightness have no effect, idem for colour. I also tried mode Legacy ', no improvement, s.v.p. test and correct this function as quickly as possible, in the last version 19, I think that this one had been corrected! It is for me about a regression perhaps owed to a mixture of version during the compilation of version 21.xxx.

Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this...I did it and it worked. Now to reset everything else...lol

Happy New Year

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same issue. I tried the reset below, but it only worked for one image. What gives?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. I'm using ver 21.0.2 on a Mac (Mojave). I can get the controls by going to View-->Show-->Smart Guides when the Lighting Effects filter is enabled. However, changing the controls does nothing and the image just looks dark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, 

This issue should be fixed in Photoshop February 2020 (version 21.1.0) release.

Please update to the latest version from the Creative Cloud desktop app. See https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html#photoshop-desktop-fixed-issues

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
sorry to say that it does not solve the problem entirely.
It's better but there are still some issues.

For instance when you want to change the parameters of the light on a dynamic filter on a smart object it goes awry (the light changes from one state/aspect to a very different one as soon as you get into the parameters window).

EDIT : Things seem to be worse than I first hoped. The problem seem to be exactly the same...
This is extremely disappointing. And I find it very odd that Adobe makes such a poor when it releases new versions.
Quark and the late xpress used to treat their customers like this and guess what happenned to them...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear support team,
Problem is still there after the update, lightning effect is exactly like making image darker only through Ambience, other properties does not work.

Am using Win10, latest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a User forum site not Adobe Support team we are users that are seeking help and providing help. We have no access to photoshop source so we can not fix Photoshop only Adobe Support can, Adobe Support site for Photoshop is   Adobe Photoshop Family Feedback  

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am still getting this issue, please if anyone can help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this. It worked for me. Go to preferences, Technology Previews and uncheck enable native canvas rulers. Restart photoshop and let me know if it helped. If not It may be your graphics card. (also you need to be in rgb and 8 bit mode)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines