• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Render lighting effects not working opens up darker in Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the newest Photohop CC 2020, I can't seem to use Render lighting effects. In my old photoshop, I used spot quite often, but now (in 2020) I open it it is just dark. It does open to the lighting menu, but nothing changes on any of the settings or sliders except ambiance which only lightens the whole image. 

I thought this last upgrade might fix the issue, but apparently not.

[Moving from generic Start/Help forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]
[To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/]

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

The problem with tacking onto the end of an old thread is that things have moved on and the cause of your issue is likely to be different.

If you are using 22.4 or 22.4.1 then read on.

Adobe are updating the core graphics functions in Photoshop. This is driven by the operating systems of Apple and Microsoft in which the old Open GL functions are being removed in the case of Apple, or deprecated in the case of Microsoft. This means that the graphics functions that have worked for years must be re

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

@maraziwazi , did you try to disable the native canvas in Preferences/Technology preview, as stated in the 3D announcement?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try this. It worked for me. Go to preferences, Technology Previews and uncheck enable native canvas rulers. Restart photoshop and let me know if it helped. If not It may be your graphics card. (also you need to be in rgb and 8 bit mode) below is that page in my preferences - light effects work now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,  21.1.1 release notes lists the black lighting effects as being fixed: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html#photoshop-desktop-fixed-issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hii all My Photoshop cc render lighting effects filter is not working showing unavailable how to resolve it ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Check that your photoshop is up to date, this is all I had to do it get it to work again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Yes, check in help>System info, you should see version 21.1.1 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour, il y a encore un autre bug, la fenaître se retécit lorsqu'on active le filtre et se remats en place quand on accèpte le filtre, voir la vidéo jointe, merci.

Hello, there is yet another bug, the window shrinks when we activate the filter and remats in place when we accept the filter, see the attached video, thank you.

Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour, Yves. merci de poster ceci sur https://feedback.photoshop.com c'est là que les ingénieurs pouront le voir et le réparer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was happening to me. I changed the file to 8bits and it now works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well its October 2020 an the same  problem is one i have here, but like you i changed  the image to eight bit before  the last time to resolves  this. Unfortunately this  time its not  working  I  can see the lighting effects  menu, but i cant  trigger it under  8 or  16 bit ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a  little  research  i have  found  the solution to NON RENDER OF LIGHTING EFFECTS  : CLICK RESET PREFERENCES  ON QUIT , then RESTART PHOTOSHOP .. it then works again   ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following. I am having the same issue. It works intermittently. When it doesn't work, it doesn't show the move/rotate/scale length controls. I have switched the settings to reset defaults on close, restarted PS, rebooted my machine, and most of what has been discussed here. I have custom Halloween work I am doing for clients, and this is killing me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still today, I reset the preference inside Photoshop, I delete the preference folder, my lighting effects doesn't show the handles to move...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with tacking onto the end of an old thread is that things have moved on and the cause of your issue is likely to be different.

If you are using 22.4 or 22.4.1 then read on.

Adobe are updating the core graphics functions in Photoshop. This is driven by the operating systems of Apple and Microsoft in which the old Open GL functions are being removed in the case of Apple, or deprecated in the case of Microsoft. This means that the graphics functions that have worked for years must be rewritten to use Metal and Direct X. At the same time, Adobe are sensibly updating those core functions to deliver the additional speed we require to handle the very large files of today.

Some functionality in Photoshop, such as 3D and lighting effects which uses the 3D engine, still relies on the older Open GL graphics functions. To make these work, an additional preference Preferences>Technology previews>Deactivate Native Canvas has been added. This can be checked and Photoshop restarted to restore 3D functions and lighting effects to where they were in 22.3
Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Legend ! Had the same problem, this resolved it, thank you !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked!! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You saved my day! Thank's so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great! I never would have figured this out. Thanks for the knowledge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work for me. I'm on a Mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't work for me either, also on a Mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you PS  restarted ?

Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I've restarted it. The selection of Lighting Effects is greyed out with Deactivate Native Canvas is selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's Ok for me...

070621-1722__fb.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lighting effects completely greyed out is a different issue to that of the control handles not visble/working. Is your document RGB and in 8 bits/channel? Then in Preferences- Performance, is your GPU recognised and enabled?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes on the RGB and 8 bits. In Performance, it says

Detected Graphics Processer:
AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT (AMD)

I have the same issue as everybody else regarding just getting a black box with no control handles when Lighting Effects is not greyed out. If I check the Deactive Native Canvas and restart photoshop, the Lighting Effects selection is greyed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines