Render Video - Quicktime

New Here ,
Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A colleague and I are rendering the same animation in photoshop but his quicktime MOV is anywhere between 300-375MB while mine are 700MB. Same steps, same setup on the exporting page. 

So confused why this would be happening. 

I followed the same steps he presented me with and they match how I was instructed. 

WHY? Has anyone seen this before? Any tips to lower my MP by keeping it quicktime and not losing any of my final product.

Stumped. 

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Render Video - Quicktime

New Here ,
Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A colleague and I are rendering the same animation in photoshop but his quicktime MOV is anywhere between 300-375MB while mine are 700MB. Same steps, same setup on the exporting page. 

So confused why this would be happening. 

I followed the same steps he presented me with and they match how I was instructed. 

WHY? Has anyone seen this before? Any tips to lower my MP by keeping it quicktime and not losing any of my final product.

Stumped. 

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 23, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a lot that affects the file size of exported video.

Are you using the exact same settings as your colleague?  So, frame size, frame rate, compression type and duration?  Also, is the content similar?  

If any one of those is different, you're going to get a different file size.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for getting back to me. All of the above are the same. I'm following a step by step how to that he sent me.

Would it playing a factor if he's using an older version of Photoshop? The only reason I ask that is because in Exporting page the 3D Quality on mine reads "Interactive OpenGL" his just says "Interactive". the only difference and i dont have the difference for "Interactive"

Its the same animation, etc.

Thanks for any help to assist in toruble shooting

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 23, 2020 0
Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screen shot of what you're looking at?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 23, 2020 0
Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With a different 3D Quality setting, you'd expect the render time to be slower or faster, but not the resulting file size to be different.

That said...

Let's say your colleague's animation is a logo over a solid color and that person gets 300MB exported to QuickTime at the Animation High Quality preset.  Then, you open the same file and you add a forest image behind the logo and then export at the same settings.  Your export will be larger than your colleague's (probably a lot larger) due to how the Animation CODEC compresses within the frame.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 23, 2020 0
Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see next response.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 29, 2020 0
Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an illustrated example of how file sizes might be different at the same video export settings.

Three movies exported at the exact same settings, but have different file sizes.Three movies exported at the exact same settings, but have different file sizes.

Each of the three movies shown above are the same frame size, frame rate, duration and compression type; however, due to how the Animation CODEC works each has a different file size.  Less change from frame to frame results in a smaller file while more change from frame to frame results in a larger file.  TIFF LZW works in a similar way.

It's important to note that this is specific to Animation.  Other compression types like H264 and ProRes422 will have different results.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 29, 2020 0