Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Repeat tile

Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've been making repeat patterns with Capture CC. I'm hoping there's a way to subtract a single repeat tile from these in either Ai or Ps. It's one thing to have a gorgeous repeating pattern, but to get one of these printed, for my purposes, I need it to be a single tile that the printing software can repeat itself. Can this be done? Cheers.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

If, as Sue asked, you do indeed have the Desktop CC version of Photoshop installed, you can do this:

Open the Libraries panel in Photoshop, right-click on the pattern you're interested in, and choose "Create Pattern Preset" from the pop-up menu. Now look in Edit > Presets > Preset Manager and choose Patterns for Preset Type. Find the desired pattern, and hover the mouse over it. You will see the dimensions in pixels of one tile. NOTE: you must have Show Tool Tips checked in the prefs to see this.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to undo this, as I'm sure a tile can not be made in Capture, but it could possibly be done in CC, which is why I chose that topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Emily.

I'm sorry for not posting sooner.

This really is a Photoshop question and probably shouldn't have been moved, especially since I don't know Ps well at all, but I did reach out to a handful of people who know Photoshop backwards and forwards and they had a process you can try.

Before that, though, a quick question, Do you use the Creative Cloud versions of the desktop apps? I'm asking for a couple of reasons:

1. You'll need to be using Photoshop CC to access the Pattern in the Libraries panel.

2. In Capture, there's a feature (Export As Pattern Tile) for Creative Cloud subscribers, that might be useful to you. To access it, tap on a Pattern in your library. At the bottom of the next, Preview screen, tap on the Share icon (square with an arrow). Then from the pop-up menu choose Export As > Project Tile. See if that gives you something you can work with.

Let me know if you're using Photoshop CC and I'll post the instructions from the Photoshop engineer.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Sue! I'll give this a go as soon as I have a chance! I am using Ps CC, so I'm hopeful, between this and what @Semaphoric has written. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If, as Sue asked, you do indeed have the Desktop CC version of Photoshop installed, you can do this:

Open the Libraries panel in Photoshop, right-click on the pattern you're interested in, and choose "Create Pattern Preset" from the pop-up menu. Now look in Edit > Presets > Preset Manager and choose Patterns for Preset Type. Find the desired pattern, and hover the mouse over it. You will see the dimensions in pixels of one tile. NOTE: you must have Show Tool Tips checked in the prefs to see this.

Make a note of these dimensions, and click Done. make a new doc with these dimensions, and Edit > Fill, Contents = Pattern, choose your pattern, and click OK. You will now have a doc with a single tile in it.

I find that most of my patterns created with Capture are one of only a few different sizes, depending on if the patterns are rectangular or hexagonal, so you can set up some New Document presets for these sizes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 12, 2017 Oct 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Semaphoric, I just followed your instructions, and they worked! I'm super stoked! I love that there's people out there who are not just passionate but love to share their knowledge to help other people solve their problems! Thank you so much, and also Sue Garibaldi​! You guys are legends! Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2017 Oct 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I want to thank you so much for your kindness and your amazing support in helping out in the community! I tried your suggestions and for me when I tried to right click on the pattern and choose "Create pattern preset" the pop up menu does not generate. I'm not sure what I may be doing wrong. I'm working on the Photoshop desktop and I have the latest version. Would you have any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have mentioned I have imported the library to Ps, and found that even just opening the library in the right hand panel  all I had to do was click on a thumbnail and it would automatically pattern fill the page, giving me the option to scale in the same manner as if I'd chosen the New Pattern Fill option. Sorry if terminology isn't spot on, going from memory here. I look forward to trying this later! Thank you both!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Emily.

Let me know if it works. Semaphoric's steps were a lot shorter than those I got from the Ps engineers so try those first. If those don't work, I'll post what I have.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you had to do this a lot, you could make a script that would harvest the patterns from the Photoshop prefs, or better, from the CC Libraries, and make and save a doc with just those tiles.

And while I'm blue-skying here, why not be able to save Pattern Presets to the Library, like you can with Brush Presets?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

understand what you're saying, and agree this would be a great idea, but you lost me at script. I'm sure there's terminology to differentiate people who are confident using software and people who are confident adjusting and enhancing software. I'd not count myself in that latter category.

But I think, if I can sort this out, I know someone who would happily show me how to do that.

Just arrived at work. I'll be trying these things out tonight or tomorrow morning! Thank you both, again    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and 3 years later I run into this very thing BUT when I follow the instructions Edit.Presets>Preset Manager -- there is no Patterns for Preset Type -- so I'm stuck. Have there been any updates with this process? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of the presets like Patterns and Gradients have been moved to their own panels, which you can access via the Window menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - thanks - but this still doesn't help me with the actual situation. 

for example, I need to create an image 12000 x 1000 to use for a product in Art of Where - so I create a new project that size then find a Pattern I like (created in Adobe Capture on my phone) and that pattern fills the space and I can scale it to the look I want - 

BUT it is not a repeating patterning - it only fills the space - and when I turn on Pattern Preview it is never a true repeating pattern - no matter the scale of the pattern nor the size of the canvas. 

And the reason I need it to be a true repeating pattern is for some POD products the edges need to come together and if it isn't a repeat pattern that line will not match. 

I've spent hours trying to figure this out -- seems like I'm just missing some small bit of info --??

thanks for any help with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines