Highlighted

Replace Color in object that is not contiguous

New Here ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am working with a topographic map that was scanned. I would like to replace the color of the forest within the map with a different green. The forest throughout the map is not contiguous.

Does anyone have suggestions on how I can change the green in the map to a different green?  I have attached a section of the map.

Thanks,

Brian

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Replace Color in object that is not contiguous

New Here ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am working with a topographic map that was scanned. I would like to replace the color of the forest within the map with a different green. The forest throughout the map is not contiguous.

Does anyone have suggestions on how I can change the green in the map to a different green?  I have attached a section of the map.

Thanks,

Brian

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 02, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are so many ways you can change the color. Just using Hue saturation to target the forest color:

Hue-sat.jpg

Or use color range to make a selection of of the green, then use a solid color fill layer with a mask created by color range. Maybe change the blend mode to multiply to get all the map detail The black and white section shows the mask created with color range:

color-range.jpg

Or you can convert it to L*A*B* color and use a curves adjustment layer to change the green color, then use blend if to target just the light greens of the map:

LAB.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chuck, thanks for sharing your solutions. This is great! One question-are there any tutorials or step-by-steps out there that will show me how to do the Hue/Saturation or the convert to L.A.B. color?

Brian

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 03, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 5.11.41 PM.png

Layers 2.png

Chuck presented a few excellent solutions and I would like to add another. It uses Lab Color mode in a different way.

1, First, the L channel is duped to create an Alpha channel.

1. Then, copies of Lab’s  a  and  b  channels are combined (one of them inverted because Green is a minus value and Yellow is a plus value) to create the basis for a high contrast mask using Curves.
  2. The mask is then applied to a flat color as shown in the Layers panel. 
  3. Last, the Lightness alpha channel from Step1 is then added to restore all the black lines Blending mode: Multiply

Image 1: Original file

Image 2: A different Green

Image 3: A lighter value of the new Green

Image 4: Proof that any color and value can be easily used

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 03, 2020 0
BrianDom LATEST
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Norman,thanks for sharing your solution as well. I appreciate it!

Brian

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 03, 2020 0