• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Replace Color: Why can't I use Eyedropper to pick new color?

Enthusiast ,
Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Replace Color" command does not seem to allow me to let me assign the new color with the eyedropper tool (while in the Replace Color interface box). I can only seem to use the HSL sliders to create the color I wish to use as a replacement. But I want to replace a color with a color which already exists in my Photoshop composition (which is currently set to my foreground color).

So, to clarify, I open the Replace Color interface box, switch over from "Selection" to "Image", pick the color I wish to modify with the eyedropper tool. Now, I click the "Result" swatch below, then the Color Picker window pops up. I can then move my cursor over to my open composition, where the cursor becomes an eyedropper, click on the color I want, but Color Picker ignores the fact that I just clicked on the color I want. Oh sure, I can change the hex values, RGB, values, etc., but why won't the Color Picker honor the eyedropper tool input?

Thanks-

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Hi

Are your wanted colors on a different layer?

When in the Replace Color dialogue - the color picker acts only in "Current Layer " mode (regardless of the setting of the eye dropper outside of replace color) . So you can only sample colour from that layer.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of photoshop and operating system are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Are your wanted colors on a different layer?

When in the Replace Color dialogue - the color picker acts only in "Current Layer " mode (regardless of the setting of the eye dropper outside of replace color) . So you can only sample colour from that layer.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave. You nailed it. It was indeed an issue of attempting to sample a color from a different layer. Well now I know!

Kind regards-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found it strange as most other tools will respect the setting of the general eye dropper tool.

Now here is a bizarre workaround for you :

1. Go to Window - Arrange - New Window for xxxxxxxx (your document). This will open the same document in a second window

2. Then Window Arrange Tile 2 up vertically (so you see both versions)

3. Open replace color and click on the color you want to replace

4. Click on the Result box to open the color picker

5. In the first image window  click on the image and hold whilst you drag the eye dropper onto the color you want in the duplicate image window then release

6. The color picker will update with that wanted color from the duplicate window

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

I tried that method and couldn't get it to work. I'm using Photoshop CC. What I'm trying to do is match the colour of a garment in another image. Do you have any tips / suggestions or workflow? I thought replace colour would be able to drop that colour onto another image, it appears that the tool doesn't work that way. Any help would be most appreciated.

Mike.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I'd call a bug, as it is really not helping a workflow, is still there : 

The Color Picker window, while using the Replace Color Adjustement, cannot pick any color from any layer or window... other than the current layer. Wish is totally dumb as the current layer is the one... changing color as we try to pick it. 

So Hue, Saturation and lightness have to be defined manually which gives to this tool a not so nice feeling of working in the 1980's.

https://hansolocambo.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can't edit a message just posted ? 

Anyway, my mistake : picking from another window works. Still doesnt' feel right, but at least it's possible to go on this way. 

https://hansolocambo.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines