• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resampling vs. Resolution

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm editing pictures for work and I came into a weird quandry. I used "Save for Web (Legacy)" to turn the .psd file into a .png which reduces the resolution from 300ppi to 72ppis (ancilary question, can I make it not do that?). For publication in a newsletter, would it be better to keep the resolution at 72ppi or to resample the image so it's at 300ppi? I need to maintain a certain width to height ratio so I can't change those variables.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save for Web (and Export) are intended for images to be viewed on screen, so the PPI value is stripped out, because it is irrelevant for screen viewing. IOW, the image will have no PPI value.

(PPI is optional metadata that is used to calculate print size. Pixel dimensions divided by PPI = print size in inches)

But when you open the image in Photoshop, a PPI value is assigned. This is to make it possible to display rulers with physical dimensions, and to display type correctly. This value could be anything, but happens to be 72.

If this is for printing, use Save As, which will preserve the the 300 PPI.

Unfortunately, there is a bug in Photoshop when saving as PNG that strips out the embedded color profile, if it is sRGB.

Also, the PNG format is not intended for printing, so I suggest that you use Tiff instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I apologize for the miscommunication, it's a digital newsletter being published, not a print one. That being said, thanks again. based on what you said, I'll keep it the way it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines