Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

resize canvas to selection

Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2008 Oct 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks,
is there a way to resize the canvas to the current selection (similar to image>>crop which crops the image to the selection) ?
thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I just did (use the crop tool with "hide" selected instead of the default "delete").

good, than we are on the same page :)

>However, to be clear, I still stand by my comment that "canvas resize" from the image... canvas size menu does nothing but crop/delete. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

huh? no, AFAIK "image>>canvas size" does not delete any pixels. It is not true that it "does nothing but crop/delete". If you just acknowledged that resizing the canvas does not delete pixels outside the selection, BUT that "image>>canvas size" DOES DELETE, then how else do you change the canvas size?? I don't know any other method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> OldBob
> VERY flipping interesting.

yes, see post #6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stand corrected. Still doing tests on a background layer only. You are correct, Mark, that Image... canvas size (if applied to a layered doc) does allow to "reveal all" back the pixels you "cropped".

J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, J Maloney. If you can, I would be thankful if you could still reply to my other question: which OTHER method of canvas resizing did you use than "image>>canvas size" ?? (or did you mean the hide-crop method?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the thread evolved mainly around other issues, what's the bottom line for my original question now?

b Is there a way to: "resize canvas to selection" ?

(other than the workaround with a dummy layer)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>which OTHER method of canvas resizing did you use than "image>>canvas size" ?? (or did you mean the hide-crop method?)

1) Crop tool
2) Canvas size dialog
3) Selection, then image... crop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks J.
Okay 1+2 is what I mentioned. And 3) does not resize the canvas, it delete-crops the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turns out it was all down to terminological inexactitude.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2008 Oct 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The dummy-layer workaround does not work if any 1 of the 4 canvas borders is outside the current canvas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does that mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, admittedly my sentence didn't make any sense. What I wanted to say:

The dummy-layer workaround does not work if any 1 of the 4 borders of the selection (or the dummy-layer for that matter) is outside the current canvas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does for me! I made a layer, moved it so that half of the layer was outside the visible canvas area, then used the crop tool. I was able to snap to all the sides of the layer, including the edges that fell outside of the visible range. (it snapped to a point outside in the grey part of the work area.) Executing the crop changed the canvas dimensions to correspond to the edges of the layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange. I carefully tried it before posting, but it now works for me, too.
Thanks for your tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the layer then click Image > Trim > Transparent Pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines