• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resize/downscale image for print by increasing dpi.

New Here ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am wondering?

If you have an image you want to print in its full size without any cropping or resampling of the image. Let’s say I have an image which is 50x50cm at 300dpi but the final print has to be no more than 25x25cm. Instead of cropping or resampling the image to fit 25x25 at 300dpi and loose part of the full image by cropping or making Photoshop throw away pixels by resampling. Can you uncheck the resample box inside "image size" and resize the image by doubling the dpi to 600dpi instead? which in theory would give me a print at 25x25cm fitting the full amount of original pixels = the full image, just smaller - printet with higher resolution?

Or am I missing some understanding on the subject here? I dont see anyone talk about this kind of solution to downscaling images for prints? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's exactly how it works. Resolution = pixels/inches. Pixels per inch, ppi. One goes up, the other goes down.

That said, increased resolution may not always give you a visible improvement. Above a certain point (depending on the actual process), it's just wasted.

A familiar example is the 300 ppi specification for book and magazine offset print. People think it's a minimum spec, but in reality it's a theoretical maximum. Anything over 300 will not give any improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just un-]check Resample and set one side's print length you want in images size. Photoshop will figure out the print ppi and set the other side length

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines