• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resize without Distortion

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I am new here, and by no means an expert on PS. I have a jpg image that was sent to me by phone, and I now have on my Windows 10 computer. I am running PS vs 22.3.1. This image needs reducing in size by approx 20%. It includes photos and text on it, I have tried converting to a Smart Object, but still it looks pixelated, compared to the original. Any advice on how to do this properly would be much appreciated Many Thanks Paul

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screenshot taken at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible of the original and the downsampled version? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I can't post the image for copyright reasons. But  the original Jpeg is  739 x 1600,  Resolution 72 And the downsampled image when zoomed in only a little is fairly pixelated. whereas the original is good. As I said it's a jpeg and unfortuantely. not a tif for example I think my question is more that I thought a smart object would keep most of the original quality. Just to confirm I am reducing not scaling up Thanks for your reply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A smart object still displays at the number of pixels in the document that contains that smart object. So if you reduce the pixel size of that "master" document then the number of pixels available to display the SO content is also reduced.

The advantage of the smart object is that if you scale the master document down then back up again, the new display is calculated directly from the SO content so nothing is permanently lost when you scale down and then back up.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what your saying. Thanks davescm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And on terminology: 

»Distortion« would usually be used to describe a change of relative spatial features, not an issue like pixelation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you resize your image are you maintaining the image's Aspect Ratio,  Anytime you resample an image  the resulting image quality will degrade somewhat.  And if you do not do a constrained resize your image will be distorted as well being lower in image quality. Raster text does not interpolate well As well as text being sized smaller harder to see its quality is lower details has been discarded.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks JJ Yes the aspect ratio has to be maintained. I'v watched a few tutorials and got the impression that Smart Object was the magic tool I needed. I guess not in my case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Smart object has your original image images quality. Only Vector Smart object resize via vector graphics, Smart Object like raster images are resized via interpolation,  The  good thing about Smart object layers the resize is from the original object always. You can resize a smart object layer over and over again till  you get it right and not accumulate image quality loss because it always a transform from the original object not from the last transform image. Its a single resize from the original image.  When an images is interpolated the resulting will have a lower image quality. If you reduce the number of pixels the image has some image details you have will be lost there room for all the details you had for the original image.  If you increase the number of pixels the interpolation method has to create detail for the larger images it does not have. There are no paths for item in the image that can scaled via math. A raster image is just a matrix of colored pixels.  There is no car, person, text, just colored square pixels.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go into Full Screen Mode, load the original image, then use the Zoom Tool to reduce magnification by 20%. Take a screenshot and see of that screenshot is an improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds promising. Unfortunately won't be able to try till tomorrow. Thanks gener

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use that method to make quick wallpapers. Sometimes it works really well  So worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines