Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

resizing large scale

Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

I am working with a client who requires some images to go from 36"x 24" up to 8ft x 10ft.

Usually I don't deal with extreme enlargements and so I wondering what is the best way to attack this?

Im not a straight forward resize in ps will create the best results??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just set the required dimensions without "resample image" checked.

You normally don't resize, partly because it doesn't do anything for final quality, and partly because large banners are seen from much farther away. The optical resolution thus stays the same whatever the physical print size.

IOW the bigger it is, the lower the ppi. Same optical result.

Naturally, you'll want a decent pixel size to begin with, something around 6000 - 8000 pixels long side. A good DSLR will give you that. Such a file will work at any size, as is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something doesn't add up.

You wrote 36"x 24" up to 8ft x 10ft.

Even if you transposed the first set of numbers to 24" x 36" the proportion would not work out to 8' x 10'. You may want to discuss this with your client.

Getting back to 8x10: In the days when Kodak was king of the hill, I recall that in their literature they mentioned a rule-of-thumb usual viewing distance as 1.5 to 2 times the diagonal of the print.  That would make the math (thanks to Pythagoras and assuming a factor of 1.5) = 20 ft. Dag's advice regarding very low res is on the button. His recommendations always are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep.  Not even Lab Colour could overcome that sort of aspect ratio problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well the sizes are kind of a guide and not exact proportions - i was mainly looking for  more efficient technique to enlarge the image if that exists.

the images are displayed, with access to walk right up to them!! so I need to try and make it as smooth and clean as possible keeping as much feasible, detail.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your speedy reply.

The images will be used as light boxes in a client presentation room/conference room - you essentially can walk right up to the image.

I created some similar images a few weeks ago, which I resized and then had to re work the to smooth out areas ion the gradation and replace logos etc which had lost their sharpness.

I was hoping there might be a better way of enlarging the image, or a technique that worked better than the standard "image size tool"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created some similar images a few weeks ago, which I resized and then had to re work the to smooth out areas ion the gradation and replace logos etc which had lost their sharpness.

If you have the logos in a vector format like AI or PDF, you can place them as a smart object and they will output as vectors. If you are placing the Photoshop file in an app like InDesign, save it as a Photoshop PDF to maintain the vector art.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

RE:TOUCH  wrote

you essentially can walk right up to the image

Yeah, but you never do. The brain doesn't like it. You want to take in most of the picture at one glance, so you stop there.

In any case, upsampling never does any good. The only thing it helps for is visible pixels, and that is very rarely a real problem. On the other hand, upsampling is a very effective way to destroy the existing pixel structure, leaving a mess of artifacts. Worst case it can look like the whole image is covered with small worms.

Vector and text is a different consideration. InDesign is the right tool for that - not Photoshop. It can be made to work, but it's clumsy and requires a lot of workarounds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The math doesn't quite add up as mentioned but lets's assume you're working towards an 8x10 final image.

Depending on the original image quality, hopefully, it's something in the realms of 8000 pixels width, anything smaller will of course cause the image to pixelate more, regardless it will be somewhat pixelated anyway as your clients will walk right up to it as you mentioned. keep your PPI high and any over text on I would create as vectors in Illustrator so they can scale with no problems.

keep your PPI high and any over text on It  I would create as vectors in Illustrator so they can scale with no problems.

it would seem the only way you're going to do this is as you already mentioned; which is scaling the image up, cleaning and smoothing out what you can.

I would say if the image is any less than 6,000 pixels width then you'll need to ask your clients to reconsider the canvas size or re-take the photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines