RGB Working Space vs Embeded Profile

Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am pretty sure I know the anser to this question but thought I would ask just in case.

If you have a working color space set to sRGB but have a color profile saved/assigned as AdobeRGB which one controls the range of potential colors in that document while working?

I assume if you are in sRGB as a working space you are limited to that range of colors no matter the profile saved with the file. This would apply to both placed rgb images within the file and content created directly in the file?

TOPICS
Import and export, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

RGB Working Space vs Embeded Profile

Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am pretty sure I know the anser to this question but thought I would ask just in case.

If you have a working color space set to sRGB but have a color profile saved/assigned as AdobeRGB which one controls the range of potential colors in that document while working?

I assume if you are in sRGB as a working space you are limited to that range of colors no matter the profile saved with the file. This would apply to both placed rgb images within the file and content created directly in the file?

TOPICS
Import and export, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 06, 2021 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The embedded profile overrides the working space.

The working space only comes into play if the file doesn't have an embedded profile (which it always should have).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2021 0
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanx @D Fosse 

Even if it is something created from scratch - like say digital art/painting. So if you started a brand new project and had a sRGB working space but had a AdobeRGB profile embeded the AdobeRGB profile would dictate how many possible colors could be in file? Or does this only apply to place files with the AdobeRGB. I relize  to see the colors I would need a screen capable of displaying as much of the RGB profile as possible and I guess have proofing set to AdobeRGB.

What I am trying to figure out is if I can leave my Working Space Synced up and set to say North America General for everyday working (I use AI & ID also) - but if I am creating something from scratch in photoshop I can just set the color profile to AdobeRGB to get the wider color space without having to worry anout remembering to switch back to SRGB for other stuff. I know it only takes a few seconds to change but every step that you cn eliminate in a workflow is helpful.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2021 0
Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want to make a new file to create an illustration and to set its color space to Adobe RGB. 

If you prefer to use the North America General Purpose preset as default, then that will mean the new file is automatically created as sRGB, since the file/new dialog just offers "colour mode RGB" not individual color spaces.

Since you'd like the file to be Adobe RGB, as it gives a slightly expanded colour range - you have 2 choices Either

just go to edit / convert to profile and convert it to Adobe RGB.

Don't worry about rendering intent here leave it on default.

OR

in this case, as its an empty document, you could simply use edit / assign profile*  Adobe RGB. 

[*Assign profile can be dangerous in other situations, it alters image appearance]

Once you've done that, the default working space of the North America General preset has no effect on your file whatsoever.

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 07, 2021 0
Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With colour setting policies set to Preserve Embedded Profiles, which they should be, then the embedded profile is used.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2021 0