Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ruler tool is not working [LOCKED]

Participant ,
Nov 16, 2019 Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I want to measure an angle in Photoshop. I select the ruler tool and then click-drag out a line. Then Alt-drag out from an  endpoint should create a second line and give a measurement of the angle created by drawing the second line. The first line draws out okay and then holding down the Alt key a little icon appears showing you can measure from this point. I then press the mouse left button (to click drag (with Alt being held down)) and the first line disappears.

What's going on?

Richard

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Issue appears to be resolved in v20.0.2 released today

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the starting point of the first line remain? Does it read the angle of the two lines? Or does everything disappear?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That bug seem to have been introduced in one of the CC 2019 Photoshop updates. So  Adobe  will not fix it for Photoshop 2020 is now the current version of Photoshop.  The ruler tool in Photoshop 2020 has even more bugs. The Alt  does not change the cursor to the angle cursor the cursor remains the ruler and you can move the endpoint. If you first let up the left mouse button then press and hold the Alt key the cursor will still remain the ruler cursor (after some delay time the cursor will change to the angle cursor). However, if you move the mouse the cursor will change to the angle cursor and the ruler marks and line will disappear and no line will drag out. The angle that shows in the ruler tool option bar seem  correct relative to the endpoint and line that disappeared. So the tool is working.   Perhaps someone will report the 2020 bug and Adobe will fix it. I stopped reporting bugs it frustrates me when Adobe acknowledges bugs and chooses not to fix some. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, it looks like a bug .

CC2018 works correctly

CC2019 the first line vanishes but the points remain and the angle is displayed

CC2020 both lines disappear

I've raised a bug report at the link below. You may wish to add your own comments

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/ruler-tool-in-v21-does-not-measure-angles?rfm...

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You saw a second line?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just went to add my vote, and your thread is now merged, Dave. The new link to vote and comment is:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/measure-tool-option-drag-to-get-protractor-no...

Jeff has asked engineering to investigate.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You saw a second line?

In CC2019 I can see the second line but the first line vanishes, leaving only the end points.

In CC2020  (V21.0.1) both lines vanish

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Sorry to write and then disappear. I was expecting to get an email notification from Adobe if their was a reply to my orignal post here.

I see what you mean about Ps CC20 allowing you to measure an angle and then it all disappears. Not really useable in that state anyway. Glad to see you explored the bug and well done on reporting it. I was scratching my head at first as I couldn't find anyone else who had written about the bug.

Not much to add about that really - you covered the problem in detail. Won't there be an update because of this? Quite a big thing to leave not working...

Regards,

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We don't work for Adobe so cannot comment on a fix date. If you follow the bug thread I posted then it will keep you updated with any comments from Adobe staff. Obviously, the more that add comments and "Me too" it , the more chance of developers taking note and giving it a priority.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dave!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Looks like the second line/protractor error has been fixed in Adobe Ps's latest update. Good news! Check it out!

Richard L.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested on the Mac and it works exactly the same way here in all three versions of Photoshop as you report for Windows, Dave.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue appears to be resolved in v20.0.2 released today

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

marked not showing rulergmmmmmCapture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

marked not showing rulergmmmmm

Capture.PNG

By @Vinod224815121quk

This thread is about the Ruler tool, which measures angles and was fixed in 2019. It's behind the Eyedropper tool.

janee_0-1679306589341.png

Please post to this other thread with your issue with the rulers. The solution is posted there as well.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-photoshop-update-24-feb-2023-rulers-not-vi...

This thread is now locked.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines