• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Running Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom Classic - Question

Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2019 Feb 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Photoshop CS5 installed and it runs fine, there are no issues. However, I am considering installing Lightroom Classic. I am wondering if there is a specific version of Lightroom Classic that will work with Photoshop CS5, or will any version work? And will installing Lightroom in any way interfere with the way Photoshop is working?  I do not want to go through the process of uninstalling and reinstalling if there potential problems running both. Please help. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 25, 2019 Feb 25, 2019

The plan requires a monthly payment, the Lightroom Classic stand alone version is $150 - a perpetual license and one time cost.

If I like the trial version, I purchase the CD version and I do not have to pay anything in the future. The CD version of Lightroom is still available.

Just so you're clear and there are no misunderstandings, Lightroom Classic (also known as version 8) is only available by subscription. That's the version you'll be trialling. You need a Cloud plan such as the Photography

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic CC plans come with Photoshop CC included so there's no reason you cannot run the latest versions of both if your hardware and operating system can handle it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand the current versions of both should work fine. I am running Photoshop CS5 which is an older version. If I purchase Lightroom Classic, it will likely be the more current version. So will I run into problems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2019 Feb 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What John is trying to say is that both Lightroom and Photoshop are included in one subscription. At $10 a month.

So you can just throw your ancient CS5 Photoshop out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2019 Feb 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the input.

However, for my editing needs, Photoshop CS5 works just fine. I need to use Lightroom to better organize my photo library. I will sign up for the trial offer and see for myself if there are any compatibility issues.

Although I do not have a definitive answer to my question, I will mark it  as answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you understand what we're saying? The cheapest way to sign up for Lightroom Classic CC, has Photoshop included.

So why on earth would you want to use the ancient Photoshop CS5 when you get the latest version anyway-?

Lightroom Classic CC will work with PS CS5, sort of and half way - but you get nowhere near the full and fluid integration between the two, that you have when the two are in version sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for your input.

I understand what you are saying.

The plan requires a monthly payment, the Lightroom Classic stand alone version is $150 - a perpetual license and one time cost.

I have already paid for what you refer to as ancient. It is quite adequate for my needs.

I base my decision not on what is the latest, rather on what I do with the software. If I like the trial version, I purchase the CD version and I do not have to pay anything in the future. The CD version of Lightroom is still available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, fair enough -

(as long as it's understood that any change to the rest of your system might cause it to stop working altogether. A perpetual license won't help you then. CS5 is a dead end.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I like the trial version, I purchase the CD version and I do not have to pay anything in the future. The CD version of Lightroom is still available.

Just so you're clear and there are no misunderstandings, Lightroom Classic (also known as version 8) is only available by subscription. That's the version you'll be trialling. You need a Cloud plan such as the Photography Plan for Lightroom Classic CC.

If you plan to buy a perpetually licensed.version on DVD (one time cost, no more to pay) then you'll be buying Lightroom 6 from a 3rd party retailer such as Amazon. Adobe no longer sells it. Recommend you don't buy it off eBay.

The last ever update for Lightroom 6 (perpetual) was version 6.14 in Dec 2017. There will be no more updates or new features

6.14 now available – last perpetual update of Lightroom

Also the perpetually licensed Lightroom 6 does not include several Cloud-only features added in the past couple of years such as Dehaze, Enhance Details.

Additionally, the Map module in LR6 no longer functions due to a major change by Google Maps (which the LR Map module relies on). The Map module now only works in Lightroom Classic CC version 8.x (subscription version).

Map is no longer supported in this version of Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks John  for the information and advice. Much appreciated.

I will keep in mind what you have said. I was planning on purchasing Lightroom 6 from Amazon.

Although I have had Photoshop CS5 for quite a few years, my needs for editing are minimal. I don't use it much. Lightroom I believe can handle some basic editing.

I need to organize my library of pictures which I have taken over the years. That is what I need Lightroom for. I am familiar with using Camera Raw, I believe Lightroom provides  a similar interface. I am not doing anything that is cloud based so that is not a concern.

My worry is if Lightroom 6  will continue to perform as there are no more updates. That is my main concern. As I have no issues with Photoshop CS5, I think I will have no issues with Lightroom 6. I have two computers, so I can try things out in one.

I sincerely appreciate the information you have provided. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Simple - and I will user my example as at least one possible one -  the last time I upgraded to a newer version of Photoshop - I lost so many of my effects work arounds... - Drop down menus changed, some choices, just gone.  things I painstakingly figured out how to accomplish I could no longer do in a time sensitive workflow - The newer version had removed renamed or just changed things and for many I was unable to figure out the new name, way or process while meeting deadlines for projects - I would invest a few hours here and there as I could and searched out work arounds, and videos tutorials but some of those things I never found or was able to recreate the effect I was used to. I was entirely self taught, so I know that in many cases my process was... unconventional or that there were steps that would have automated or simplified my process. 
Not all changes and upgrade are good. Filter packs, brushes, templates and extensions I had bought for the earlier version would not work with the newer one. or caused problems that meant lost time. Many of us could not afford to upgrade yearly or with each version. Seems like if you dropped a fair amount a few years back - moving you to a subscription service was kind of crappy - I know a few folks who while doing updates basically got locked - could not sue their old verfsion and the newer version would not install in a usable fashion - unless they deleted other applications they needed and had bveen using for years happily at the same time as photoshop... but now they no longer play well together if at all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines