Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Same Photo Clear in Illustrator, Blurry in Photoshop

Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Apologies for what I am sure will turn out to be a very simple question.

I am working on something in Illustrator. The size is 336 x 280 px.I placed a 1500 x 1000 photo (jpeg) in and resized it, and it looks fine and crisp.

When I tried doing the exact same in Photoshop using the same size document, the image was really blurry. Same for if I copied it straight over from Illustrator.

I was zoomed in on both files at 200%. My understanding is that unless something is a vector, resizing a big image to be small will cause quality loss - so why has it only caused quality loss in photoshop and not in illustrator?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»I was zoomed in on both files at 200%.«

Could you please post a screenshot taken at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible? 

»why has it only caused quality loss in photoshop and not in illustrator?«

Photoshop is a pixel oriented program – so 336px x 280px actually means 336px x 280px. 

Illustrator is a vector oriented application – so a placed pixel image can have whatever resolution within the file.

But look at what you get when you export the image in a pixel format (png, jpg, …) at the same size of 336px x 280px. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh when I exported both of them as PNGs the quality of each was the same!!! That is amazing, thank you so much, I never would have checked that! So does it not really matter what program I am using, cos as long as I save it as a png or jpg etc the quality will be the same anyway?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you work for specific pixel dimensions and output as png, gif or jpg then both applications will provide similar output. (Resampling algorithms for example may make some difference.) 

If you output as a vector format (svg, pdf, …) then the differences may be more relevant. 

But to make sure to avoid unnecessary image degradation when transforming images repeatedly in Photoshop try to work with Smart Objects when possible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh cool I will definitely use smart objects from now on. Thanks so much for your help and patience!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines