• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save a Copy automatically checked

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know how to keep this from happening? It started doing a couple versions ago, and it is driving me mad! Any Help would me much appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Save as' now insists on it being a copy. Instead of <filenam.jpg> it insists on saving it as <filename copy.jpg> creating two files. If you are editing jpegs for a website it screws up all the links. For the past 30 years you were able to overwrite the old file maintaining the integrity of the filenames. Who decided this was a good idea? And why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Who decided this was a good idea? And why?«

Who decided that what was a good idea?

Please provide meaningful information and post meaningful screenshots. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also: You are aware that editing jpgs is a bad idea because of the lossy nature of (conventional) jpg-compression? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any file I do this with has it checked, I can open a pdf I made in photoshop and try to do save as, it has the save as copy checked. say I have a design and I want most of the layout to stay the same I just need to swap a logo, say I have to do that 10 times, I want it to be like it was I save it with a different file name and not have to physically every time have to uncheck the damn box for save a copy, I want the file I have open to change the name and not remain as the original version. It slows down my workflow tremendously!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your description seems useless to me – a pdf created in Photoshop can be different things … did you save with »Preserve Photoshop Editing Capabilities« checked for example? 

Please explain the process in a meaningful manner and post the requested screenshots already. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide some menaingful information. 

Are you trying to save a layered image in a format that does not support layers, like jpg? 

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From a multi layered PSD artwork I wish to switch layers on or off to save the different layers as single JPG files. Finishing up with a sequence of single JPGs. You could always save a PSD or EPS or TIFF as a differet file type by using File/Save as. It would save the new JPG by over-writing the old JPG without question. It may be the Apple OS that's stopping this as in Photoshop 'File/Save as' insists on saving it as a copy (JPG) and refuses to overwrite the old JPG. Doesn't really require screen shots to understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For someone apparently working in a visual medium you seem pretty disinclined to actually show what you are talking about … 

When I select jpg in the Save As-dialog for a layered image I get no » copy« added to the name but »As a copy« naturally gets checked. 

saveJpgCopy.jpg

So once again: Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was not editing jpegs I was saving layers as JPGs. Been doing it for years and it always worked. Very quick to do and productive. I first created a high res PSD to add and manage the layers. Then saved each layer as separate JPG for a website. Nothing wrong with the quality of the final JPGs, just that it would only save as a copy and adds the word "copy" on the filename, which has to then be manually removed or it ruins the links in the website. ie you can no longer save a JPG by overwriting the old JPG without it calling it a copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»I was not editing jpegs«

You specifically wrote 

»If you are editing jpegs for a website«

so it seems understandable that I assumed you were talking about actually editing jpgs. 

»Then saved each layer as separate JPG for a website.«

Have you considered using File > Export > Layers to Files or a custom Script to create the jpgs? 

Anyway, seems there is a lengthy bug report-thread on what sounds like your issue: 

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-saving-copy-not-saving-over-jpg-fil...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2020-12-11 at 17.11.30.png

As you can see it's the same as your own screen grab. < Save as > (because I'm saving a PSD as a JPG) has "As a copy" already ticked and greyed out, so there doesn't appear to be a choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don’t seem to fully appreciate what you are doing – »As a copy« is obviously unavoidable when you are saving a jpg from an image that cannot be a jpg (what with having Layers, …). 

The bug seems to happen »after« that dialog; namely in that the replace-order in not honored and the new file’s name is amended without/despite user-input.  

This can apparently be avoided with a Script, but it seems to be a legitimate bug indeed. 

And one that has annoyed a lot of people already … 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rubbish. It used to save a layered file in any format you wished. PDS layered files, if saved as a TIFF or JPG Photoshop would simply ask if it's OK to flatten the file. It would leave the PSD layered file untouched.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Rubbish. It used to save a layered file in any format you wished. PDS layered files, if saved as a TIFF or JPG Photoshop would simply ask if it's OK to flatten the file. It would leave the PSD layered file untouched.«

You seem to be trying to contradict something I did not claim. 

Obviously the layered file stays as it is when saving a copy off of it, but »As a copy« got checked automatically when a format was chosen that did not support the Layers even in older versions. 

You may just not have paid it any mind. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had access to Photoshop CS2 today and did a quick test … and naturally »As a Copy« gets checked automatically when selecting JPEG as the format in the Save As-dialog with a layered active document. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no such command "As a copy" There is "Save" or Save as" - 'Save' if you want to save the current open file, 'Save as' if you want to save the open file as a different name or format. It's always been that way. yesterday my computer was ADDING the word 'copy' when I was trying to update and over-write the old file.

It was doing what I wanted but messing up the file naming protocol in the process. This morning AdobeCC decided to automatically update Photoshop. I allowed it and tried again. It's behaving normally after the update. I think there was a bug in the Adobe program file OR the Apple OS but it seems to be fixed now.

So thank you once again for your help. It's fixed itself.

Screenshot 2020-12-12 at 12.39.31.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

»There is no such command "As a copy" There is "Save" or Save as"«

I did not claim there was a command »As a Copy«; the Save As-dialog has a checkbox for »As a Copy« (and it’s been there a long time) and it gets checked automatically when one selects a format that does not support the active document’s properties (like jpg for a file with layers or jpg for a 16bit image).  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the link to the "lengthy bug-report thred". That is exactly what is happening. I was beginning to think I was losing my mind! As I said I have been using Adobe software since the 1980s. It's a delight to use. Just an aside... there are still issues like Adobe InDesign launches and you hit Cmd+N and it has always opened the New File dialogue box. At least it has since the year 2000 when I switched from QuarkXpress. This year, in the keyboard shortcut list it says the New shortcut is (Cmd+N) and it doesn't work. Also Open File (Cmd+O) doesn't work.  It works in Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator but it's broken in InDesign. This is the reason why I said, "Who decided this was a good idea and Why?" Adobe seem quick to develop software updates and most are really useful, but they take months to sort out the bugs. Can I just say thank you very much for doing your best to help me. Time for a beer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines