• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save a Copy not saving file to original folder in Photoshop - Problem or Error?

Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I go to "Save a Copy" it trys to save it in the folder that I last used, instead of the current folder.  Example:  I just worked on an image that I took today, and it is in the folder named "2021_05_28".  When I go to save a copy, it wants to save it in the folder I used yesterday, called "Book China".  Is there something I might be doing wrong, or is there a way to fix this issue.  And I do consider it an issue, because I have mistakenly saved to the wrong image because I was working too fast. 

Thank you.

Bonnie Davidson

{Thread title edited by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop while trying to Save a Copy. Would you mind sharing the version of Photoshop you're using along with your computers operating system?

Please go to the Preferences of Photoshop, then File Handling & see it the option to Save As to Original Folder is checked. If it's not, please check the option & then relaunch the app to check if that helps.

PS save as to original folder.png

If the issue persists, you can try to reset the preferences of Photoshop using the steps mentioned here: https://adobe.ly/2Qzc0K3

Please backup your settings prior to resetting the preferences. You can check: https://adobe.ly/2vNz6FG

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Version 22.4.1 and I am using Windows 10.  I have looked at the Perferences, Save As, and the box is checked to save to Original Folder.  I will try the two steps you mentioned and get back to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed your instructions (I think) and it did not fix problem.  When I hit any "save" mode, it wants to save in the last folder I saved to, not the current folder.  Another example.  Opened file from 2021_05_28 and it wanted to save to BookChina, which was last used.  I tried this several times.  I also made sure the the Preferences, File Handling, Always Save "Save As to Original Folder" was checked.  Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem.. It defaults to the second folder I used.  If I  'place embedded', it defaults back to that folder, instead of the original folder of the image I originally opened.  Ive tried save a copy,. save as. clicking the bottom image before trying to save.  Nothing works. Most annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

resetting preferences did not help.  it is very very frustrating navigating through multiple drives to find the original folder to save to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this has to  be a new bug.  My preferences are checked to safe to original folder.  Nothing helps. the previous version was fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: so far three adobe techs have connected to my computer to solve this problem, but nothing has been solved.. It's most annoying. One of them understood the problem and said a higher up person would call,  but nobody did.  He has my log files. I thought today's update might solve it, but it has not changed.  Photoshop will not 'save as' to the original folder unless I navigate to it each time. It wants to save to the folder I added a file from using the 'place embedded' command.  I don't know how to start a new thread to point out this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot reproduce this. "Save A Copy" always goes back to the original/same folder - as long as I have Save As to Original Folder checked in Preferences.

What operating system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HP Windows 10 and HP version 22.4.1.  I have tried all that y'all have said, but am still having issues.  And yes, my "Save As to Original Folder" checked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with D Fosse

check the preferences or try to reset them:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any luck with this Bonnie? I have a similar issue but I think it only happens when I start off in Lightroom and then edit in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, it only happens when I open the image from lightroom.  If I open from photoshop it saves to the proper folder. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had hoped yesterday's update would resolve this but still the same, last night i removed and reinstalled both Photoshop and Lightroom, still the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so glad I'm not nuts.   The techs dont get it.   I still have an open support ticket, so hopefully they are looking at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me again. I'm really disappointed in ADobe support.  I have two letters comfirming that they will call today sometime durning a three hour period. Nobody called.  I've been sitting next to the phone for hours... they never did get the time zone right even though I spelled it out in plain English with numbers.  Also Nobody notified me when tech #2 said someone would.. etc etc.. Is adobe that mixed up that adobe cant even figure out the problems?   Can you tell I'm angry?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE:  Adobe finally called, over an hour late. The tech was hard to hear.  He got exasperated with me. the poor guy has probably been dealing with this problem all day.  Apparently Adobe wants you to just click off the image as if you are closing it!!! a little window pops up to allow you to choose the file extension.  For subsequent edits, click save a copy.  but that seems to save as a Tiff, which upsets 20 years of my filing system.  ( I havent truly tested it out yet)  I'm not entirely sure the problem is solved.  He rolled back to a prevvious version, but it is version 22.4 so it dose the same thing.  Still out to lunch on this one.  It's ahuge upset.  PS: the other thing that doesnt work is the content aware fill window.. but that is another problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, sounds like thats the answer I've seen elsewhere saying just click on save, which does direct it to the correct folder but as you mention saves it as a tiff when I just want a jpeg, very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here I am AGAIN months later.  I am now using 22.5.1 and the problem started again!  It refuses to save to the original folder after embedding a file.   I am trying the legacy mode now and it is no better.  If I use a plugin it saves to the original folder.   Adobe had trouble fixing this. I hate to reset the preferences and lost all my plugins again.  is there another way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A script can overcome such issues, however more info would be required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have EXACTLY the same problem - and I am getting nuts...

Photoshop almost always will prompt me with the last used folder and not the original file folder. 

And yes - I have "original folder" and "legacy save as" checked.

Anyy help would truly be apreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so glad it isnt only me!  It's still happening even with the latest update.  I lose more images into folders, texture folders, or some other folder,

from some previous image.  I open with lightroom, edit in photothop and then lose it.  When several drives are plugged in , it is a nightmare scrolling eachc time to choose the proper folder. The proper boxes are ticked for it to return to th eoriginal folder.   I think I might start a support ticket on this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you are not the only one... But I don't have a solution yet either... 

It's really annoying. If you don't pay attention, you save the photos to the wrong folder and it's hard to find them later on...

With me it started when they introduced this new "save copy as" feature. Before they implemented that, everything worked fine...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac or Windows? Save A Copy goes right back to original folder here (Win 10).

Try to reset preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines