• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save As bugs in V22.4 & V22.41 and others (Desktop)

Explorer ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since 22.4 I have had many problems including regular crashing (machine level lock-ups) when saving Tifs - Not at all impressed.
However this post is to do with two other really annoying bugs/changes that has taken place and was never there before in any previous version.

1. The Icons for my plugins have disappeared. The plugins are there but not any icons which makes it difficult to work out what is what!

2. I always load into PS from LR. When I load a Raw file I work on it and save as a Tiff - that is my default. I may also create a JPG of that Tiff file before exiting.
a. When saving my worked file as a Tiff, PS no longer saves back to the original folder. I have checked my preferences and to Save to original folder is set. It seems to by default always want to save to the last folder I saved to, which could be one for years ago! - this has to be a bug and never happened in any version previously.
b. If I then want to save the Tiff as a JPG ... which I generally put in a different folder, the option has disappeared. It can only be found if I specify Save as copy, which then suffixes the filename with '-copy'. Again no previous version ever did this. It is highly undesireable and needs changing back. I should simply be able to save my Tiff as a JPG to wherever I wish with the original filename.
c. When I have finished working on my raw file and save it as a TIFF, PS by default suffixes the filename with '-edit'. This is wrong. It only ever happened previously if I specifically opened the file as an EDIT or COPY. It should save it back to THE ORIGINAL FOLDER with the ORIGINAL FILENAME (except a filetype of TIFF). I note that the EDIT/COPY options when you open a Raw file from LR have disappeared not that I ever used those options, but it is obviously related to this issue.

Please don't tell me this is the behaviour to expect. If the developers have implemented this behaviour in V22.4 it is most definately a retrograde change - it has screwed up many of my 'Actions' and involves additional keystokes to do basic file saving (as well as remembering the original folder the working file was in). I'm unsure when I first noticed it, so it is very possible I have files saved in all the wrong folders- GRRRRR!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Why are you using Save As to save the TIFFs if you want them back in the same folder as the raw file?

Is it to rename them? If you not renaming them, and are just editing the opened raw (as a TIFF) making adjustments and saving the Photoshop adjustments - just use Save (Ctrl+S) and it will put the saved TIFF in the same folder as the RAW that was opened from Lightroom.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

If you don't want Edit added - then change the Lightroom preference that I mentioned earlier.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shopuld add before someone questions it. I flatten my Tiffs, resize and change colour profile before saving as a JPG ... Basic saving protocol that no longer works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

On the first issue , plug in icons, you may wish to add to and follow this thread on the feedback forum, which is teh place for bugs
https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-docking-icons-for-extension-panels-...

On the second, since 22.4 If your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel, hidden pixels) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy command. In the case of jpeg the file should also contain only a background layer - not layer 0).  This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System that came with Catalina and could not be ignored, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep them aligned.

So for a genuine flattened file with no transparency, only a background layer, 8 bits/channel, no additional channels - jpeg will appear in Save As
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

The third issue is related to the second. Whenever Save a Copy is used, "Copy" is added to the filename. The Mac platform forces Photoshop to do this. Windows versions are aligned to ensure users and plug in/action developers can work across platforms.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

OK, I don't like the answer regarding saving JPGs but I get it. My files met the criteria other than being 16bit. I'll have to add the step to convert to 8 bit in my actions to enable them to work. It is rather galling that Windows Users have to take what I would consider a retrograde step to fit changes Apple have introduced.
However, you answer doesn't address point 2A i.e. the saving of a Tiff file back to LR (where it was loaded from). PS appears to be defaulting to the folder the previous file was saved to even though it came from a different folder and there is no relation whatsoever. It means every time I save now from PS I have to search for the folder it came from to ensure my library is kept 'clean'. This is a BIG issue and has to be corrected. I can't see why PS can't identify the OS being used and take appropriate action for that OS. Yes, it may mean added code (which I have no doubt at all, already exists within PS for some interface elements), but you can't be in a position where one OS dictates the functionaity of a product to the detriment of another ... unless Adobe wants to do exactly that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was working earlier and did not see that behaviour so I tested again to check.

I take a Raw file in Lightroom , make some raw adjustments, and use Edit in Photoshop.

I make my Photoshop adjustments then Ctrl+S (save). It saves to the folder that the original raw file came from adding Edit to the name*. I use PSD rather than TIFF but the process is the same.

If, before closing, I then Alt+Ctrl+S (Save a copy) as jpeg -it opens the same folder as I have just used (with the raw file and the PSD in it).

I have another PC with the previous version of Photoshop on it. The behaviour was exactly the same - with Edit appended to the PSD filename. That is working correctly as in Lightroom Preferences > External Editing, I have Stack with original checked and Edit Externally File Naming set to add - Edit to the PSD/TIFF version.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that you HAVE to save as a copy - that is a waste timer... I want my files PSD -> JPG) having the same name (without "_copy" - so I have to remove that every time) - Interesting: Older PSD files can be saved as ... a JPG f.e. directly. New created files NOT. And that's a bug - > have tried 22.4 and this behavior is gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Imedia-MP Check the files carefully.

If your PSD document meets all the criteria for saving as jpeg which includes: no transparency, only a background layer (not layer 0), no additional layers, no adjustment layers, 8 bits/channel, no additional channels, no hidden pixels (from using crop with delete cropped pixels unchecked)  then jpeg will appear in Save As.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

Have you saved to a different folder first? 

I think you will find if you load a file from a different folder (from LR) into PS, edit it and save it back to its source folder, then do the same for a file from a different folder, PS will 'offer' as default the first folder, not the file's source folder. I have tried many combinations and it is always the same result (offering to save to a folder I previously saved to), even to subfolders e.g. I create a folder JPG as a subfolder of 20052021, save a jpg to that folder from PS, then edit another raw file from 20052021 (parent folder) and save as a TIF, it offers me the JPG subfolder as default instead of the source parent folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you using Save As to save the TIFFs if you want them back in the same folder as the raw file?

Is it to rename them? If you not renaming them, and are just editing the opened raw (as a TIFF) making adjustments and saving the Photoshop adjustments - just use Save (Ctrl+S) and it will put the saved TIFF in the same folder as the RAW that was opened from Lightroom.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I don't want -Edit suffixed to the filename. I'm saving it as a different filename - it is .TIF not .ARW (my raw format). As someone else commented I have to manually edit out the suffixes each time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't want Edit added - then change the Lightroom preference that I mentioned earlier.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dave,

I did it that way as I have always (for 10+ years) done it that way. I can't recall why now (maybe because I changed from PSD to TIF a while back but not sure), but it always worked till now.
I have tested what you said above and yes it appears to handle it as you have said. I must admit I wasn't aware of the need to set the Edit externallly filenaming setting as it has never been necessary before.
Anyway, I now appear to be able to work as I was before ... in fact slightly better as I don't need to save my TIFs with Save As and constantly tell it to use PC Byte order instead of MAC. However, because my Tiff files can be quite large I have often/usually had to set it to ZIP the layers or image when I save - what will happen now that I don't get that dialogue box or will it come up automatically if it reaches the 4GB limit without zipping it?
Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines