• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save As Does Not Change Filename on Tab

Contributor ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried over and over again to set up an action to Merge Visible and Save As. The merge visible works. The save as works, except it does not change the name of the file on the tab. Therefore, the next save command does not show the latest filename. Using Photoshop version 22.4.1 on Windows 10 PC.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try Flattening so there is just a background layer  that has no transparecy at all? If the merges layers can have transparency  Save As in 22.4 will not be able to save a jpeg.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack. Thanks for the response. I was not clear. I was trying to save a standard Photoshop PSD file, not a JPEG. The operation has always worked before, and in fact is seemed to be working correctly a day or two ago. There is something flaky going on with the coding (an unitialized variable for those who know programming).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you want to create an action? It is just two shortcuts Shift+Ctrl+E and Shift+Ctrl+S... Even in the Action you need to make the Save As step interactive so you can set the destination path and the new PSD file name to want it to have.  The Tab file Name should changes for Photoshop should now switch to editing the new saved PSD and leave the original PSD as it was before the merging.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize that I can do it from the menu, but launching an action is a very simple thing to do and saves time overall for repetitive tasks. Regardless, the action should work as it always did until version 22.4.1. Something is broken and needs fixing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting you Photoshop Preferences The Tab File should change for Photoshop should switch from the PSD you were editing to be editing the PSD file you just saved.   Photoshop should change the documents name, its Backing file to the saved PSD file and the Tab Name should be changed to the changes document Name,  The PSD file that was open still exists and should not have been written over. That the way it works on my Window 10 machine with Photoshop 22.4.1...

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea where to reset Photoshop preferences.

Here is more information. When I open a file from camera raw, it has a name such as yyyymmdd_xxx_1234.NEF. That is what appears in the Photoshop tab. I work on the file in Photoshop and several layers are added above the Background layer. If I do two operations, merge visible and then File > Save As, the file saves properly with the new name I gave it, such as yyyymmdd_1234_HorsesRunningWild.psd. After the Save As operation completes, the new filename appears on the tab. However, if instead of performing the two operations above, I select the action and then run it, I get the dialog to change the name to yyyymmdd_1234_HorsesRunningWild.psd and the file is saved with the new name; however, the Photoshop tab still has yyyymmdd_xxx_1234.NEF. So the Save As operation in the Action is not properly functioning. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You reset Preferences in Preferences then close Photoshop and reopen Photoshop.  If I open as CR2 RAW file from ACR as a smart Object layer or a background layer  I do not get a ,CR2 in the document name in the tab. I get a sequence suffix added to the image name.  when I add layers and merge and save the  PSD via the action  the tab name change.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened the preferences dialog from the menu (Edit > Preferences) and chose the General option. I clicked on Reset Preferences on Quit, then closed the dialog, and shut down Photoshop. I restarted Photoshop, and of course had to reset my preferences to what I use. I then tried using the action to Merge Visible and Save As. The result was no change from the previous behavior before resetting the preferences.

Thanks, but I believe there is a bug in Adobe's code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just took a closer look at your action. I did not create my action by clicking on the File Menu and choosing Save As. The problem with doing that is the file name is saved in the action, so on future Merge Visible and Save As actions, the same original file name appears, even if you work in a different folder. What you have to do when creating the action is this. After right-clicking the layers and choosing Merge Visible, the next step is to go to the Action panel menu and choose Insert Menu Item. A dialog appears and then you click the menu item File > Save As and then click OK. Then stop the action recording.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no file name saved in my Action however, there is a path saved in it.  I turned the step dialog on so I can change where the PSD will be saved and I can use the Current document name by default or change that as well and the path.  I do not have to change the Path and File Name but I can either or both if I want to.

image.png

The recorded defaults may be just what I want....

My save As step is like an Inset menu item Save As for I turned on the step dialog,  The big diffence is PSD is set as the file type and a Location path is set and the Curren document name is set in the Dialog.  You sett the dialog menu Icon next to the Check in the action save as step.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the step function yesterday and it does not fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you install third part add ons?  What is the difference between your setup and my setup?  I do not se a problem like your on my setup...

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Photoshop supporting your machine GPU?  The thing is we are both using Window 10 Pro mine is fully updated and we are both using Photoshop 22.4.1 and ACR 13.2.  You have that problem I do not.  Where is the differences between your environments and mine.  Do you have any third party Photoshop add ons installed?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Windows 10 Home edition, but that should not matter. I keep it up to date. The GPU is a modern unit, but it is unlikely that the GPU is involved in any file save operations as that is strictly a Windows dialog. I use Topaz Labs filters, plus others such as Nik. There was never a problem with them in the past and they are not involved in file save operations either. It seems like Photoshop is not properly picking up the new filename from the Save As dialog. This is passing of data between Photoshop and Windows using the CPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I let Photoshop default the file name here and I use an insert menu item  Save As step. You can see .psd was added to the tab document name 

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Close Photoshop then start Photoshop while you hold down the shift key.  When you get the Prompt dialog skip loading  optional and third party plug-ins.   Then try the save as action.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Starting up without optional and third-party plug-ins made no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that probably works, but I want to change the filename to include a description of the file contents. For example, using your file LO2G5037-1, I want to save it as LO2G5037-1_YoungGirl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no problem doing that

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried skipping the the loading of the optional and third party plug-ins?????

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. No difference. I thought I responded to your suggestion. Something must have gone wrong with my reply.

Tomorrow I am going to look for cache to clear. Also going to see what happens when I run the action on my laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have experimented more and can confirm there is a bug associated with an Action containing Save As. I duplicated the problem on two separate Windows 10 computers using Photoshop 2021 version 22.4.1. The purpose of writing this is to more clearly identify the problem and explain how to duplicate the problem.

Here is how to duplicate the problem. I explain that the filename in the Photoshop tab does not update to the new saved as filename, and the open recent file list is not populated. If you are an Adobe programmer or someone in the know, I speculate where to look for the cause.

1. Open any existing PSD file with Photoshop. Add an adjustment layer such as exposure and tweak it a slight amount.

2. Open the Action Panel.

Click the + icon at the bottom to create a new action. Alternately, click the Action Panel menu in upper right corner and choose New Action. Give it the name Merge Visible and Save As. Click Record.
   A. Right click your mouse on one of the layers and choose Merge Visible.
   B. From the Action Panel menu, choose Insert Menu Item. A dialog opens. Next, using your mouse go to     

Photoshop's main menu and click on File > Save As then click on the OK button.

Now stop the action recording by clicking the square icon at lower left of Action Panel.

3. Do not save the file you have open. Instead, close it and quit Photoshop.

4. You are not ready to perform the testing.

5. Create a folder 2021_06_04_TestFile somewhere on the drive where you save photos.

6. Copy a raw file from any location to this folder. Rename the file to 202100604_IMG_6179.NEF. (Use a different extension if the file was from a non-Nikon camera.)

7. With Adobe Bridge 2021, navigate to the folder, select the file, and open it in Camera Raw. Make an adjustment such as increasing or decreasing the exposure, and maybe a few other things such as increasing the clarity. At the bottom of Camera Raw, click the Open button.

8. Photoshop should open and display the file. (It may take a few seconds for Photoshop to display the file, so wait as needed.)

9. Look at the tabe in Photoshop and it should show 202100604_IMG_6179.NEF.

9. Add an adjustment layer such as Exposure and tweak it a small amount. (For the test, the image does not have to look perfect.)

10. Open the Action Panel and select the Merge Visible and Save As action by clicking on it.

11. At the bottom of the Action Panel, click on the triangle icon to execute the Action.

12. The Windows Save As dialog should appear. Navigate to the folder 2021_06_04_TestFile. The File name edit box should be pre-populated with 202100604_IMG_6179.psd. (Note the psd extension.) Edit the filename and change it to 202100604_6179_MyTestFile.psd. Next click the Save button.

13. Look at the tab in Photoshop. It still shows 202100604_IMG_6179.NEF.

Step 13 shows the error. The tab should display 202100604_6179_MyTestFile.psd, but it does not. However, if you use Windows File Explorer, you will see the file was saved as 202100604_6179_MyTestFile.psd.

My conclusion is that, Windows returned the correct renamed (or saved as) file name and Photoshop captured that returned value because Photoshop saved the file correctly. What is did not do is update the tab and it did not update the Open Recent files list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You described the action I recorded  and the test I made except I use  ac canon CR2 RAW file.  When I opened it in Photoshop through ACR 13.2 as an Object or Background layer the document mane was the image name with a numeric suffix without a .CR2..  I will download a Nikon RAW file and test with that for you.   I do not believe I will see what you see or your machines.. I do not use the bridge but will for you.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines