• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save as JPEG "kills" all colors

Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something very strange that I noticed in the current photoshop. This was only spotted when I uploaded my photo to Instagram and found it totally desaturated. I thought it is Instagram but then I uploaded the same image to Vk.com and the same thing - desaturated image. I went back to photoshop, opened the image and saved it again without ProPhoto RGB ticked. Then I noticed the image was saved in the very same way how Instagram sees it - desaturated. Now I am confused - so how to save it in JPG so it would be OK when uploading to other web platforms? What went wrong? I work with photoshop for many years and this is the first time I see this strange issue. Any help would be appreciated. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

That's a ProPhoto image viewed without color management.

ProPhoto always requires full end-to-end color management. If the chain breaks at any point, it will look like this. A functional color management chain has three links, and all three must be present and correct at all times:

• an embedded document profile
  • a valid monitor profile at system level
  • an application that reads icc profiles and converts correctly (color managed)

ProPhoto should never leave your computer. If you don't know how

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please set the Status Bar to »Document Profile« and post more meaningful screenshots. 

What is the image’s original Color Space? 

According to the screenshot of the save dialog you did not embed the profile – why? 

Have you tried converting to sRGB (and embedding the profile) when exporting jpg? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks sort of like an Adobe RGB being viewed as sRGB.  Some sort of profile issue at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer is simple. Your image is in ProPhotoRGB. Unchecking the option to include an ICC-profile isn't the same as converting it, so your image still is in ProPhotoRGB. You must convert it to sRGB. Alternatively you can use 'Export' rather than 'Save as'. Export has the option to convert to sRGB at the same time.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this has helped right away. No idea why my image was picked up as ProPhotoRGB in the first place. In the past, all images were in sRGB which is why I was confused by this strange case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a ProPhoto image viewed without color management.

ProPhoto always requires full end-to-end color management. If the chain breaks at any point, it will look like this. A functional color management chain has three links, and all three must be present and correct at all times:

• an embedded document profile
  • a valid monitor profile at system level
  • an application that reads icc profiles and converts correctly (color managed)

ProPhoto should never leave your computer. If you don't know how the file will be treated, always convert to sRGB.

EDIT cross post, but the point should be well made now 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all, Export As has actually fixed that. This is the first time when I see such a thing. I work a lot in Photoshop and previously exported hundreds of images and all were in sRGB profile by default. Thank you for pointing at the issue. I did not know where to start investigating which is why my screenshots are basic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why did you choose Export As?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because comment above suggested that as an option. Not sure how to convert to another profile yet, but will google it now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason Export works is that "convert to sRGB" is checked by default. If you also check "embed color profile" you will have covered all scenarios.

In Photoshop, Edit > Convert to Profile > sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (sRGB for short).

sRGB is always safe because most standard displays are close enough to sRGB natively, that it should look roughly right even without any color management. But it will only look exactly right with full color management (as per my three bullet points above).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, that worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines