• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save, Close, and Stop record of basic action.

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2018 Oct 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I can't get my head around trying to do what has always been a very simple thing.

I have just upgraded to CC, and have always been able to do this easily in other photoshops ... but something is different with this one.

I want to set up a simple action to batch process a load of my images to 72 dpi.

So when I record the action, for each image I would normally do Save As, then Close.

But when I press Close, it now closes the whole workspace, and not just the image, meaning I can't press the Stop record button.

This means  Closing the image is not recorded as part of the Action, so once performed, I could have 100+ images set to 72dpi, but not closed, so I have to close them all individually.

Does this make sense? Am I being stupid??

Thanks for any help in advance!

A

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Thankyou for your reply Charles! - but I think Ive resolved it.

I went into Preferences, and unchecked "Show Start workspace when no documents are open"

This stops the workspace closing, when I close an image.

Sorted!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Engaged ,
Oct 10, 2018 Oct 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s strange behaviour but the action is still being recorded.

Once you close, if you go Windows > Actions you’ll notice it’s still recording and you can then press the stop button.

You’ll then notice the action will have “Save as” > “Close” in its list of tasks.

You’re right though, I think Actions should stay open once you close – Something for Adobe to update for the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou for your reply Charles! - but I think Ive resolved it.

I went into Preferences, and unchecked "Show Start workspace when no documents are open"

This stops the workspace closing, when I close an image.

Sorted!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AndrewCkid's "solution" works indeed. But that behavior of the Actions recorder not showing after we closed a document we were working on definitely feels like something that should be coded differently. 

Another way not to face this issue : keep more than one document opened when recording actions. This way if you have to record a File->Close,  the second document will remain there and so will all the usual menus, thus enabling you to stop the recording.

https://hansolocambo.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for the tip, if you know you'll need to close all documents, hold shift as you close one document, you'll get a prompt asking if you want to save for each doc you'll just need to hold shift and click in the same location...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks PECourtejoie. But the OP question was about "how to record File->Close" as an action later used in File->Automate->Batch, given the fact that when we record the action and close the document : The actions menu disappears, we're taken back to the Home Screen and therefore we cannot Stop the recording.

Not about "how to manually close multiple opened tabs" 😉

Nice tip nevertheless for those who eventually didn't know about that.

For those looking for the the Preference/General mentionned as a solution in this thread, in latest versions of Photoshop :

Edit->Preferences->General->Show Start workspace when no documents are open

became  :

Edit->Preferences->General->Disable the Home Screen

Disabling that, all Menus will remain opened even if no document is openened. Enabling the user to stop the recording of an Action when Close is the last recorded action in the list.

https://hansolocambo.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I was aware of the point of the thread, I just posted that little tidbit that can be useful while troubleshooting the issues you were facing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines