• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save, copy and paste 3D parameters between layers..??!??!?!?

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2017 May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi..! I have a rasterized text layer in wich I´ve made a lot of 3D config and extrude. Now, I added a Second layer and I need it to have the same 3D properties applied in the First layer... How can I copy those parameters from the first layer to the others..? THANKS!!!

Captura de pantalla 2017-05-07 a las 11.23.17 p.m..jpg

In the image above, the First layer contains the TARM letters and the Second layer, the JUDG letters...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Hi Eduardo

I deleted your file after doing the above. See if you can follow this , if not I'll do it again and repost.

After taking the steps in post 6, but before rendering.

Highlight the Front Inflation material for the new lettering in the 3D panel.

Now in properties next to Diffuse click on the little folder and , choose New Texture.

Enter the dimensions the same size as your image.

The empty texture will open with a UV map for your new lettering.

From the main document click and drag the layer you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
May 07, 2017 May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eduardom,

Please refer the below tutorial for some tips and tricks in Photoshop.

Photoshop Layers tricks and shortcuts | Veerle's blog 3.0

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yhanks. Mohit..! I will give it a reading..!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You can do this two ways. I assume you started with a text layer , which you extruded

1. To end up with separate 3D layers

Duplicate the 3D layer.

Select the object in the 3D panel for the duplicated layer

Go to the properties panel and click on Edit Source

This will open a psb file with the text. Change the text to the new text and save.

You now have a new 3D layer identical to the old - but with the new text

Both share the same view so will need to adjust one or both of them so they don't overlap

This makes both visible but they are on independent layers so don't really interact

2. A better way (in my opinion) is to have both sets of letters on the same 3D layer

To do that

Right click on the object in the 3D panel and choose duplicate object

This gives a new model in the same 3D layer - with same properties as the original

Click on the new duplicate model and in the properties panel Edit Source

Change the letters and save

Move the new and old model (in the same 3D space) to place them how you want them - then render

I hope that helps you

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Dave..! First of all, THANKS for taking the time..!

I tried our suggestions, but couldn´t do it right...

In both cases, I made the layer copying... The psb file appeared. I changed the content, but couldn´t see the extrusion or else. I saved it and closed the psb file. Got back to the original psd file, but the new layer didn´t have the extrusion nor the properties of the original one...

Here´s the psd file:

T2 EDUARDO pruebas.psd - Google Drive

What am I doing wrong..?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I opened you file and with just the 3D "Layer A selected"

I went to the 3D panel and duplicated the object you had named "TEMINATOR 2 COPY" by right clicking on it and selecting Duplicate objects".

This gave me a new object called TERMINATOR 2 copy 1

I went into the properties panel and clicked on Edit Source. This opened the psb file.

I replaced the words with those from your "judge e  d y"  layer by dragging that layer across from the main file into the psb and turning off the original layer in the psb

I then closed and saved the psb

This gave me the new words as an object in the original layer

Finally I moved both up so they were above the groundplane and rendered

If you need both to sit on the ground and have shadows directly under them, just move the second object up, bring it forward and scale it to make it the right size as viewed.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Dave!!! THANKS AGAIN..!!!

But, the result on the letters surface is not the same..!!!! Look at the last picture you sent...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eduardo

Sorry I missed that.

The issue was caused by the material which unusually only extended over the wording and was transparent elsewhere whereas a material is normally built as a seamless texture.

This meant that the new UV was only filled in the areas covered by the old wording. If it had been seamless it would not have mattered.

No problem it just needs an additional step to build a new texture based on your "New to be extruded layer" and then that texture used with the front inflation and bevel materials in the new word.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Dave..!! "it just needs an additional step"... Wich step was that..!?!?!?!? jajajaja

Could you please re´send me the file..? THANKS!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eduardo

I deleted your file after doing the above. See if you can follow this , if not I'll do it again and repost.

After taking the steps in post 6, but before rendering.

Highlight the Front Inflation material for the new lettering in the 3D panel.

Now in properties next to Diffuse click on the little folder and , choose New Texture.

Enter the dimensions the same size as your image.

The empty texture will open with a UV map for your new lettering.

From the main document click and drag the layer you marked as "New to be extruded" into the texture and size it so it sits on the UV map of the letters. Then save it.

Go to the bevel material and in properties change it to use the same texture as above.

That is it - you can now render

Like I said if you have trouble with those steps shout out and I will download your file again and repeat the exercise

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Dave..! I finaly did it right!!! THANKS A LOT!!!!!

However, two ideas came to my mind after this "incident":

1) I need to get into PS 3D right now, because I don´t "understand" it...

2) I could do this with your guidance, but I think this hole process envolves too many "specialty features" that should be a lot more easier, more intuitive than the solution you gave me... Something as simple as copy-and-paste...

THANKS AGAIN!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Photoshop 3D is a bit limited in the controls it gives compared to a full 3D program. But it is there and is handy to use for simple modelling and text extrusions.

I don't see the other 3D programs as being any more intuitive, when starting out in Blender the interface feels like a nightmare!

There are some good tutorials on Photoshop 3D on Lynda.com and for the complete novice the link below gives some basics

https://design.tutsplus.com/series/using-photoshops-3d-capabilities--psd-18886

Good luck and shout out again if you get stuck

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

您可以直接将文字图层生成3D,然后复制该图层,仅仅需要更改这个图层上面的文字即可。

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello maybe a bit late on your #D duplicating but this is how I do it that gaurantees the procedure- not rocket science as it's appearing to be. Select the text and go into Appearance. Click on the 3D effect applied and simply write down all the specifications (on paper) then go back to the text you want to copy the same data that you wrote down for the first text. Done. Why write a novel about it when it takes just a minute to apply the effect to another text. You're welcome. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines