• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save for web - CMS demands another resolution

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work with PS for Mac and if you save a file with the “save for web” export function, the resulting file will always have 72 dpi. But the CMS where I load up my files only likes 69 dpi. Otherwise it will resize any file and it looks terrible after that and has other pixel measures that won’t fit. 😞

Please no long explanations that resolution is irrelevant for web or for the OS you use. Comments like that do not help anybody. My CMS has definitely another opinion regarding this matter and I have no possibility to use another CMS for my client.

And no, I have no Windows PC where PS uses 96 dpi for export and I also do not want to buy a second system for this minor task. This is a ridiculous strategy.

What I need is a way to make the market leading high-end software PS export a file with another strange resolution which half of the world is using like e.g. 96 dpi. Using “save as” is also no good idea as you have no good control on size and look of the result. This is a bad workaround – takes too long and the result is not good enough. There are really good reasons why the command “save for web” is existing.

Or is there a reasonable, user-friendly and time-saving possibility to change the resolution after exporting for web? And no, the resolution is not really saved and changeable in the metatags. When you save for web, the metatag field for resolution is empty.

Thank you for any useful help! 🙂

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> with the “save for web” export function, the resulting file will always have 72 dpi

Not quite true - I think the images exported via Save for Web have no resolution because it's not needed for the web.

You can add the resolution metadata to images with ExifTool, so I'd test if adding resolution values of 96 actually solves your problem first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"if you save a file with the “save for web” export function, the resulting file will always have 72 dpi"

Actually that is incorrect. When you Export > Save for web the ppi tag is not set at all. It has no value.  It only appears to have 72ppi because on opening a file without a ppi meta value, Photoshop sets an entirely arbitrary 72ppi just so that it has something to use if you show the rulers or want image size in inches.

At present, only Save As sets the ppi value in the file and it uses whatever value is currently set in the image being processed.

You could raise a request in the feedback forum for Export to act differently but it has been raised in the past.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/default_topic/photoshop-save-for-web-changes-resolution...

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

thanks, you saved my day. 😄

Your explanations make much sense. The link you posted had the full solution of my problem:

In the “save for web” window just set metadata to “All” and the desired resolution info will be copied, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmm, there seems to ba a slight bug in PS.

All works fine for creating JPEGs for web, but when exporting a PNG-8 file with “save for web” with metadata set to “All”, the metadata info for resolution however is empty.

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines