Highlighted

Save for web error, the operation could not be completed, the file or directory could not be found.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save for web gives me an error that says: the operation could not be completed, the file or directory could not be found. I'm using CC2017.  And that's it. I haven't found any solution on the web, so any help will be appreciated.

I just want to know did you moved your application to another folder, not applications folder?

Also, try to check the photoshop permission folder maybe something locked.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Save for web error, the operation could not be completed, the file or directory could not be found.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save for web gives me an error that says: the operation could not be completed, the file or directory could not be found. I'm using CC2017.  And that's it. I haven't found any solution on the web, so any help will be appreciated.

I just want to know did you moved your application to another folder, not applications folder?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 29, 2017 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which directory was it in the message so you could check out the message.  If not IMO its a useless message.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 29, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the complete message, it doesn't mention anything more. It is shown in a pop-up window and the actual save for web window never shows up.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2017 0
Sep 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is why it is a useless message You were not at the point of saving an actual file so you have no ideal as to what file Photoshop was trying to access.  You were trying to get into Save for web UI. To do that what Adobe files does Photoshop need to access.  I have no idea of what Photoshop code does there.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh I see. I'll try reinstall one more time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save for Web has been deprecated in recent versions – this explains why and what's recommended:

Save for Web in Photoshop CC 2015

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2017 0
Sep 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seem it will be remove at some point.  However it has not so far so it should work.  From what I read there

“Save for Web will not be removed without replacing its capabilities in a new and improved workflow.”

When Adobe does remove it that  will brake a countless number user Scripts and Actions and workflow's and most likely some of Adobe Actions and Scripts.  Who will fix them to use the new features capable of doing save for web.   Will Adobe even fix their own Actions and scripts. To me it look like Adobe has every intension of braking users workflow and they are trying to pass that off as new and improved workflows. 

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually that's the reason I need it to work, I use it in an action to process lots of images. I couldn't do the same with export, it appears to be too slow for completing the action and just output one or two images out of fifty. Save for web worked just fine

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2017 0
Sep 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to remove this file (a new one will be created):

sfwprefs.png

There may be a shortcut for it, but I can't remember what it should be.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2017 1
Sep 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel Adobe will have a hard sell removing Save for Web.

So far Creative Cloud users can install all Creative cloud versions of application . You can use your working workflow and can try to develop workflows that will work in the newer versions of Adobe applications new features many be nice, new bugs are not.   Braking one's workflow is not nice.  

It is not because of the new features in the newer Photoshop versions that I do not use them it because of the new bugs.  I use CC 2014 Adobe so far lets you do that install previous versions of Photoshop.  So if your workflow is not broke in  a version use that version.  These days you can even use the latest ACR in all versions but CS6. Adobe no longer make ACR crippled foe older versions of application Adobe has you as a subscriber.  As a Creative cloud subscriber you can use the versions of Adobe's applications that work for you.   Old versions may not be support but you can get you work done.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find that file on a Mac, I tried looking at library/preferences.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2017 0
Oct 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that files should be in your user id Photoshop preferences on as mac as well as on windows PC. User Finder to see if it can finds its location with a search.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find that file, maybe that's the problem. I searched in both library folders and nothing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2017 0
Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple and Microsoft like to Hide things on users you need to change your system default file viewing options to be able to see hidden folders and files using Mac Finder and Windows File explorer.  If you did not you will not be able to see or search for  Your Photoshop Preferences files.  They are in your user id application data space which Apple and Microsoft hide by default.  I'm a windows  user here are how I set my Windows File Explorer View options.

Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg

An old version of Photoshop like CS2 may not have such a preference file and if you never used Save for web the fils may not have been created.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it hasn't been created, because I can see other preferences files, but not save for web. I have reinstalled it and is the same problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2017 0
Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you then use Save For Web after you installed cc2017. It most likely  gets created the first time you user saver for web. I just deleted the file in mo preferences.  The I did a Save for Web ant the file was created.   The setting you used  using Saved for web are most likely recorded in that file.  If you do a saved for web and that file is not created check your user id Permissions for the preferences folder.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2017 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I updated Photoshop I haven't been able to use save for web. It just keeps popping up the same error

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2017 0
Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only advice to solve your installation problem is to uninstall Adobe Software. Download Adobe Cleaner and run it to make sure you machine is cleaned for Adobe software that all old traces of  adobe sotware have been removed.  Download and Install Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop application and then use the desktop application to install your Adobe applications and activate them. Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

It seems very strange for I deleted that file and Save for web worked.  I feel Save For Web may not be able to create that file in your installation and that is why you getting that message.   It does not exists because Save for Web is being prevented form creating it.  That I why I wrote check your User ID Permissions.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2017 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just install it on another user account and there were no problem, so there's something wrong with my account. I checked the permissions on my user folder, but they look ok. I'll try to remake user my account or reasign the ID folder.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2017 1
Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When ever Photoshop is not working correctly the first the to do is reset all Photoshop Tools if that does not fix the problem try resetting you Photoshop preferences,  Try them

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2017 1
Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, preferences follow the user account. A new user gets a fresh preferences file.

I assumed the problem here would be SFW prefs specifically, but I suppose bad Photoshop prefs can also make bad calls to SFW.

The thing about corrupt preferences is that the weirdest things can happen, often totally unrelated to any user definable settings. And the preferences file corrupts relatively easily, because it is rewritten fully to disk every time you quit the application. An irregular shutdown and off it goes. Program files, in contrast, are read-only.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2017 2
Contributor ,
Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2017 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I didn't move the photoshop folder, but my user ID folder was in another HD. I always separate my user files from the HD with the OS and applications, just in case something goes wrong. Of course, I do this before installing all the apps, but I never had a problem before, this time I don't know what happened. Anyway, I finally found a workaround remaking my account on the boot HD and the problem is gone. Thank you all for the help, I really appreciate it

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2017 0
New Here ,
May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updated my Photoshop today , I have disappointed. F.........k.   saveweb file problem. Please help me anyone.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2018 0
May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More information might help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2018 0
New Here ,
May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. When I try to save for web
[ File> Export> Save for Web (Legacy)...]

I get the same unless error message "The operation could not be completed"
(art credit: Shag)

Capture.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 23, 2018 0
New Here ,
May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this just worked for me, found it on another forum:

Re: Photoshop 2018 Memory Issue

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 23, 2018 0
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

Can you solve this problem?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 04, 2018 0