• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save for web grayed out in Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My "Save for Web" option is grayed. I cannot even click on it. What is wrong?

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

Sorry to hear that Save for Web is grayed out in Photoshop, let's make it right.

Reasons it could be grayed out: image mode is not Bitmap, Indexed, 8 bit RGB, or 8 bit Grayscale; or the plugin is missing for some reason.

Also, what is the size of the image you're working with?

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I changed it to a smaller 8 bit RGB mode. After exporting though the images do not meet up seamlessly. Putting them side by side the color and picture quality shows a difference. lamp_01.giflamp_02.giflamp_03.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is weird.  Are you trying to save it out as a .mov?  I don't think I've ever done that before

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the video I recorded to show the color and quality difference inbetween the photos. I went to save for web, tried to save as a jpeg, it shows up in the folder as a gif anyway, then I open it and it is like this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The titlebar in your capture is showing the file as large format (.psb)—maybe the pixel dimensions are too large?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked. Thank you all for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly is the fix for this if the pixel dimensions are too large? How do you export large files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File > Export > Save for Web (Legacy) is very old code that Adobe intends to remove eventually. That’s why they added “(Legacy)” to the name. One of the problems is a pixel size limit. Adobe is in the process of replacing that command with other commands that you can use instead, that are free of the restrictions of Save for Web (Legacy).

If you want to export for web or screens, use File > Export > Export As… instead.

If want to export for print, use File > Save a Copy instead. This command includes additional metadata, such as ppi resolution, that is not exported by the Export As command. The reason Export As leaves out some metadata is to reduce file sizes for online use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great to know, but what about exporting slices? The regular "Export As..." doesn't recognize them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly is the fix for this if the pixel dimensions are too large? How do you export large files?

By @yumiifmb

As Conrad wrote, Save for Web uses legacy code from way back, the limit is 8192px on the longest edge. Larger images are automatically scaled in % to the pixel limit. Export As/Quick Export is the "replacement" technology, however it doesn't offer all of the same features (yet?).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the solution to this problem? I don't see a real answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the solution to this problem? I don't see a real answer.

By @ATLcoqui

What is your specific problem? Is this issue for one specific file or any files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the problem is (in my case) that I cannot export slices because the image is too large and the Save for web (legacy) is greyed out...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think the problem is (in my case) that I cannot export slices because the image is too large and the Save for web (legacy) is greyed out...

By @mauriziom94919842

Solution 1:

Crop the original image into sections 8192 px or less, then you should be able to export the slice from Save for Web (Legacy). Undo and repeat as necessary until all slices are saved.

Solution 2:

Use a script to save slices to files, bypassing the 8192px input limit of Save for Web (Legacy):

Solution 3:
Use a script to create layers from the slices:

The layers can be saved using File > Export > Layers to Files or you can select the layers in the layers panel and then right click on them and select the Export As right-click contextual menu item (Export As has a 15,000px input limit on the longest edge, so each slice should be under this value).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines