Highlighted

Save stuck on 0%. HELP!

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the latest version of Photoshop 2020 (21.0.1). I tried saving my file and it stuck on 0%. I figured because the autosave is on I can close it and I might lose only the last few things I did. God was I wrong. I lost all my work. I did some work again and decided to manually save it again. Little did I know I have the same issue. Is anyone else experiencing this? I don't know what to do. I don't want to lose everything again. I tried duplicating everything and saving that file bot it didn't work. Please help as this is important work. I'm using a 2017 Mac if that has anything to do with it.

TOPICS
Bug, Crash or freeze, Import and export, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Save stuck on 0%. HELP!

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the latest version of Photoshop 2020 (21.0.1). I tried saving my file and it stuck on 0%. I figured because the autosave is on I can close it and I might lose only the last few things I did. God was I wrong. I lost all my work. I did some work again and decided to manually save it again. Little did I know I have the same issue. Is anyone else experiencing this? I don't know what to do. I don't want to lose everything again. I tried duplicating everything and saving that file bot it didn't work. Please help as this is important work. I'm using a 2017 Mac if that has anything to do with it.

TOPICS
Bug, Crash or freeze, Import and export, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 13, 2019 6
101 Replies 101
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Autosave is not the same as say Word. It does not iterate your work to the original file. It's an emergency backup in case of crashing.

It also requires you to save your file at least once.

As for your 0% saving - where are you saving to (local HD, network, external HD, etc) and are you logged in on an account that has Admin rights?

Kevin Stohlmeyer Adobe Community Professional/Adobe Certified Instructor

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im working on an external HD. I've never had any issues until this update so I don't know if that is the issue

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2019 0
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having the same issue. I updated to photoshop 21.0.1 and Mac OS Catalina three days ago and I've had my computer crash about 5 times since when using photoshop and indesign. It always starts as photoshop getting stuck when saving and then indesign freezes right after. I'm working off an external hardddrive which i have done all year and never had this issue before.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me as well even after updates. I'm working off an external drive and it is constantly getting stuck at 0% and it's frustrating because sometimes I cannot even cancel the save, thus losing all the progress I made because I cannot save the file elsewhere. I'm running Catalina 10.15.1 (19B88) with Photoshop CC 20202 Version 21.0.2

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 11, 2019 1
Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known Catalina issue with external drives.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 17, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same problem now with version 21.0.3

This sucks beyond anything. Even when I force quit it will corrupt the file that's being saved so I just end up losing everything!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 04, 2020 0
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im on the same issue!! anyone know how to fix. it's terrible because complie the file and i cant open the nromal file again because I forced to quit!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 03, 2020 0
Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on Mac Catalina?

Saving to an external drive?

Have you allowed Photoshop full disk access in Apple security preferences?

Have you read through the suggested solutions on this thread?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 04, 2020 0
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated Photoshop some weeks ago. The problem reappears no matter what I do - I changed the scratch disk, tried working from local, extrernal hard drive - the same. The longer you work on a file, the bigger is the chance to have the issue replecated.

In case you still looking for a way to save you file at least in some way before killing Photoshop, here is my trick. The only way I found to save the work in progress is exporting all the layers as separate files. I use File / Export... / Layers to Files. In the pop up window, I check "Visible Layers only", so I only export what I need. Photoshop takes some time to save all the layers one by one as separate files. Then I kill the app in Task Manager. Once I open Photoshop again, I place all the exported layers in a new file (or in older version of the same file if there is already something done). In the Layers Tab, I right click on the newly imported layers and choose convert into layers. I have to sort them out after that and reorder as needed. Takes time, but at leat the work is restored.

You can choose to export each layer as a PSD file or PNG or another, depending on what you want to preserve in your layers.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 07, 2020 3
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just happened to me for the first time on the internal drive. Catalina 10.15.5 and PS 21.2.0. 😞

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 16, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is ridiculous now. More people are having the problem and adobe is
doing nothing.
Its been so many months since i posted this issue and there have been 3-4
updates since then.
Some people have posted some workarounds but they don’t work for everyone.

Can someone from Adobe look at this and do something please?
--
Kind Regards,
Alexander

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 16, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this and ended up freezing Photoshop. Ughh. File lost. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 24, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a work around that worked for me.  While stuck in the 0% saving i was still able to edit the file, so I added a linked file to my PSD.  Even though I was blocked from saving I was able to package the file now that it had the link.  After doing so and restarting PS I simply opened the packaged PSD and deleted the linked file, and all was ok after that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 12, 2020 10
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm havign the same issue and this package workaround was a life saver! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cheers dude, worked a treat! shame i had to use it in the first place but haha...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works dude, Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 31, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Such a lifesaver...thank you thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 07, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!
I am very gretaful for this solution that seems to have helped for several people. The issue I have is that I dont know what 'a linked file' is? 

I would be happy for an answer!
/Helén

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The gift that keeps giving. Thanks for the fix.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply place a file inside your document using the Place Linked… command from the File menu. Doing so allows you to create a packaged copy of your Photoshop document. Once you have the linked file placed inside your document, choose the Package… command from the File menu and designate a location for Photoshop to save a packaged copy of your file (along with the linked file). Photoshop will save a new copy of your file in the location you specify, and you should be able to use this copy as a "backup" of your work. At that point you can force quit Photoshop, then restart and open either your previous file or the new "packaged" copy of your file (and delete the linked file if need be).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ERIC, you absolute life saver. THANK YOU.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 10, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the problem right now : a photoshop file stucked a "saving : 0%", a file located on my local drive, not external

I simply "duplicate" the document (in Photoshop : image > duplicate) and juste save the duplicated document

that's all folks, can't be easier, zero time waist, no complex manipulation

cheers...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 1
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

F@#$#%ING GENIUS!!! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Genial, Obrigado !

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 0
siegmint LATEST
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A possible alternative for this that I use sometimes is to simply create a dumplicate of the file and save that... not ideal but works and is simple

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 18, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happening to me as well. Stuck on 42% for the last hour. I left it to save overnight last night, still no movement. Force quit, lost half of my work. I've restarted my computer, and updated CC. Of course it's happening the week I have several deadlines to hit. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2019 0
Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same question to you - where are you saving to (local HD, network, external HD, etc) and are you logged in on an account that has Admin rights?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to save to an external drive on my Mac Mini that I've been using without issue up until this update. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2019 0
Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've updated to Catalina correct? That is the issue, not Photoshop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 17, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, this is not an issue with Catalina as people on windows are
experiencing the exact same issue
--
Kind Regards,
Alexander

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 17, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thank you. It's not Catalina. I have a PC too and it's doing it there too

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 04, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, I'm still in Mojave (need to export my Aperture library before updating) and it just happened to me (0% progress saving). I am using an external drive as well.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 07, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried uninstalling Photoshop and reinstalling it, and it seems to have solved the problem. Doesn't solve the losing your work bit, but hopefully solves the issue moving forward. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2019 1
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also just happened to me, I am trying to save into my external SSD and no go. I even created a dupilicate and tried saving it into my local drive and same thing, does not go over 0% save. I'm out of ideas.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 27, 2019 0
Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS are you on?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 02, 2019 0
Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saving to external drives especially SSD's can eventually become problematic.  If the external is an SSD remove as much of the data as possible then try again.  If that's still not working transfer all the data off this drive and format it again.  SSD's do not like being very full and performance goes downhill quickly as that space is reduced.  Network drives are usually better but any network hickups can also cause a loss of data.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 02, 2019 0