• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saved image as a JPG now all my layers are gone

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saved my work as a JPEG and then when I go to open it all my layers had combine into one and now i can't edit it because everything got put together. Is there anyway to open it as a JPEG, with all my layers seperate? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

No, that's not possible.  JPG is a flat file.  It does not support layers. To maintain layers, save images as native PSD (Photoshop) or TIF files.  Always keep your native files in case you ever need to edit them.  Make copies in JPG for use in projects requiring JPG.  Ditto for PNG.

[Moving from Using the Community to Photoshop.]

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Saving as jpg will not overwrite the original PSD.

Go to File > Open recent. It should be listed there if this happened recently.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that's not possible.  JPG is a flat file.  It does not support layers. To maintain layers, save images as native PSD (Photoshop) or TIF files.  Always keep your native files in case you ever need to edit them.  Make copies in JPG for use in projects requiring JPG.  Ditto for PNG.

[Moving from Using the Community to Photoshop.]

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't seem to be universally true. My students (high schoolers) seem to have found a way. They turn in a .jpg and when I open it, all of the layers are there. They are not tech savvy enough to be able to recreate their steps, but I have not been able to figure out why that happens. Thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide us with an example of a JPEG with layers? Upload to something like Dropbox. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't seem to be universally true. My students (high schoolers) seem to have found a way.

By @Sheehan72

The redefined JPEG? Great. Get them high marks. The JPEG specs simply do not include layers.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bet donuts to donut holes you're opening another file type without realizing it.   GIF and WebP images support animation frames.  I suppose if someone incorrectly saved an animated GIF as a JPG, it might maintain it's animation frames.  If you opened such a file in Photoshop's Timeline, the animation frames might appear stacked in the Layers panel.  But that's a really big "IF." 

Ordinarily, the only Layer supporting file types are TIF, PSD, PTD and some PDF files.  

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Out of curiosity, I decided to test it. I renamed an animated GIF to JPG from my operating system's file manager.  When I tried to open the renamed file in Photoshop, I received a "could not complete your request" error.  So you can scratch that off the list. 😞

In all likelihood, you're opening a file other than JPG that actually supports Layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When saving a file, there's a Layers checkbox in the options. You'll notice for some formats (such as JPEG) that layers cannot be checked because they do not support layers (and it even puts a yellow alert icon as a warning). Only a few formats actually support layers. It's best to save your work file as a Photoshop document (PSD).

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anyway I can convert my JPG file into a photoshop file? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you open any kind of file (JPEG or other) and start working, creating layers, etc. you can then do a File > Save As and make it a Photoshop file (PSD). In your case if you have a flat JPEG, saving it as a Photoshop file will not magically bring back the layers you once had (they are not in the JPEG to begin with), but if you remake your layers you could at least keep them moving forward.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Is there anyway I can convert my JPG file into a photoshop file? "

Sure but it won't magically create layers for you.  That data was lost when you saved as JPG. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can open a JPEG file in Photoshop, but:

• The file will stay flat, until you add layers and save as either a PSD file or a TIFF file.
  • The compression artefacts will stay and will be part of your file, whatever you try to do.
ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saving as jpg will not overwrite the original PSD.

Go to File > Open recent. It should be listed there if this happened recently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines