• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

saving a jpeg in photoshop

Explorer ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why is there no jpeg option anymore in the drop down menu when i save my file? It only shows psd, tiff and one other thing that i can't remember. Tired of crap being changed and updated constantly only to not work properly! super frustrated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Hi @Mary5FBC 

Choose File > Save a Copy (not Save As) to be able to save a JPEG.

“Only supported files that maintain your work will be supported in the Save As command. If the file type you’d like to save isn’t an option, simply go to Save a Copy and create another version in your desired file type.”
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2021-4.html#save-a-copy  

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Mary5FBC 

Choose File > Save a Copy (not Save As) to be able to save a JPEG.

“Only supported files that maintain your work will be supported in the Save As command. If the file type you’d like to save isn’t an option, simply go to Save a Copy and create another version in your desired file type.”
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2021-4.html#save-a-copy  

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you Jane I would like to delete my question now, do you know how I can do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not how this Forum is intended to work; maybe someone else with the same problem will find this thread helpful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well i know how to save but i was saving a mockup and it's not too large of a file to save as a jpeg but it only gave me 3 save options and this had not happened before so it threw me off. so saving as a copy did work. thanks for the replies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mary5FBC wrote:

thank you Jane

You're welcome, Mary, and your post will be useful to others who may come across it while searching.

Cheers,

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

😇

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My batch mockup modulating scripts have no problem saving your Populated Mockup PSD or PSDT templates with replacement designs as Jpeg. Your Template PSD and PSDT template files will not be  updated. Script Save As is not limited like Photoshop 22.4+ interactive UI Save AS. Scripts can save jpeg file from layered documents..  Your PSD and PSDT files will not be save over. They remain as you have created the. Free Photoshop Photo collage and Mockup Toolkit 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks JJMack! And I don't even know what a PSDT file is lol. Is that new too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, it  drives me [Profanity removed by moderator] nuts, interupting my work flow, having to find out what they've decided to [Profanity removed by moderator]with this time.  When you're on photoshop all day, having to delete the word 'copy' from every single JPEG or PNG save name costs money, health and sanity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is quite frustrating all these changes which seem unnecessary to me it's like if it's not broke don't "fix" it, it only makes it worse and definitely causes severe stress in already stressful situations, not to mention confusion. Thanks for responding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was broke, by Apple and this IS the fix which was necessary. Adobe didn't do this to go out of their way to piss-off customers. Despite the assmuptions of some who suggest otherwise. 

Such users can always go back to a previous OS and version of Photoshop. No one at Adobe or otherwise forces them to upgrade either. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"it's not broke don't "fix" it,"

Hi Mary

The problem is that it was already broken on the Mac operating system since Apple changed the functions available in the operating system in their Catalina OS. So Adobe had no choice but to change on the Mac. The change on Windows was a choice but was made to keep alignment of Photoshop on those two platforms. By doing so they upset and inconvenienced some Windows users, if they had not done so and the two platform versions of Photoshop diverged then that would upset and inconvenience those people and organisations who work across both platforms along with Plug in and action developers. So they faced a lose or lose situation. In the long term, even as a Windows user myself, I think they made the right decision to keep the systems aligned.

This article gives some more background to the problem : https://petapixel.com/2021/05/18/photoshops-save-as-function-has-changed-on-mac-heres-why/

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. This is a change that I dislike intensly. Adobe, please go back to the more simple save menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mrehmus2 wrote:

I agree. This is a change that I dislike intensly. Adobe, please go back to the more simple save menu.

Adobe did go back in 22.4.2.

As of 22.4.1, you can find png, jpg, pdf, etc., in Save a Copy.

As of 22.4.2 you can revert to the previous behavior in Preferences > File Handling > File Saving Options:

• Enable Legacy Save As
  • Do not append Copy to filename

See this help page for details and cautions:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/saving-images.html  

Jane

Forum volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@mrehmus2 wrote:

Adobe, please go back to the more simple save menu.

This is a user to user support forum. To provide feedback and suggestions about what you desire from Adobe, you should go to this URL and comment after selecting the appropriate product line:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/categories/products/5f5f2090785c1f1e6cc40864

But more importantly; you CAN have the old behavior.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines