Saving as Copy instead of Overwriting

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having an issue with the new update. Finally, I am seeing my extension name update when a new one is selected in the save as dialog box... however I am still having an issue with saving over original files. If I make changes to a file then try to save over the .png file it keeps saving as filename-copy.png. I am not able to unselect the "Save as a copy" box. Anyone else?

Contacted Adobe support — said that it's a known issue and pointed me here:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop-saving-copy-not-saving-over-jpg-file

Maybe it's more useful to write there?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very long time user and I am having a related problem. I work on a regular .psd file and save periodically as I go. It seems to accumulate a series of numbered copies of the file in the original folder. filename 1.psd, filename 2.psd, filename 3.psd, etc. instead of simply saving over the old version.  I'm using iCloud for cloud storage instead of the creative cloud if that helps. Why is this happening? Is this the same problem people are describing in this thread? It seems related. Maddening.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't, unfortunately, have a solution for JPG files, but this bug also happens when trying to overwrite TIFF files on Catalina through Save As. I've found a fix for that: In the Save As dialog, after you choose TIF from the drop down, DON'T uncheck the Layers box. Instead, just click SAVE and when the TIFF OPTIONS box appears, select "Discard Layers and Save a Copy" from the Layer Compression section. This will successfully overwrite a previous TIFF file of the same name and give you a flat TIFF file with no "Copy" added. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this problem. It drives me insane. I'm a storyboard artist and the whole point of my job is to finish boards fast and efficently. The extra added time of replacing boards hurts my work preformance. Someone needs to address and fix this issue. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having the same issue, I even went back to the previous version of Photoshop. Still happens in MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 in Photoshop 2019 - Very frustrating - However using the renamer tool in finder saves time... (select files > right-click > rename files). 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines