• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving as Copy instead of Overwriting: PS 2020 with macOS Catalina [locked]

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having an issue with the new update. Finally, I am seeing my extension name update when a new one is selected in the save as dialog box... however I am still having an issue with saving over original files. If I make changes to a file then try to save over the .png file it keeps saving as filename-copy.png. I am not able to unselect the "Save as a copy" box. Anyone else?

[subject edited for clarity]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Jan 01, 2020 Jan 01, 2020

Contacted Adobe support — said that it's a known issue and pointed me here:
Photoshop: Saving copy not saving over jpg file

Maybe it's more useful to write there?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

This bug introduced by Apple with macOS Catalina has been resolved with 22.4.

~Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 212 Replies 212
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How has this incredibly basic issue not been addressed for almost a year and a half now?  Adobe is marketing and selling this as production-ready software and yet this workflow-breaking bug still lives on to plague every single user on macOS...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously. I'm working with Photoshop and Premiere on a video with many graphics. Now, when the client makes changes I have to import the damn copy back in the editor and replace it. However, I'm finding that it actually replaces the second file with the "copy" extension so if your client makes a lot of changes then you're golden : /.  Thanks Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone, so an executive from Adobe actually reached out to me and we had a video conference about this issue. Apparently it's to be addressed in an update release in the next month or so. He actually demonstrated to me the new functionality, so I feel cautiously optimistic. They've been aware of the issue but have been trying to replicate PS's save as a jpeg behavior on the new Mac OS's this whole time. I'm no programmer so I won't judge all that though I wish there had been louder suppport for and to us. Anyhoo, let's all hold our breaths....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info eekphoto. Crossing fingers!! I've been running Mojave this whole time since the issue doesn't appear there. Waiting for the fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is encouraging to hear... thank you for sharing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

really appreciate the update, heres hoping

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update but still incomprehensible to me that this is an issue. The other Adobe apps I use every day, After Effects and Illustrator, don't have the same issue with overwriting files. This is just sloppy development and it's ridiculous they haven't been able to fix it with a bug fix update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree. It's very odd that files with the copy extension can be overwritten. It's just the initial file (saved jpeg or png) that can't be replaced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seriously hope so. I just upgraded to Big Sur in the hopes that it would resolve the issue (it started happening with Catalina as far as I can tell), but Big Sur did not fix the problem. It seriously puts a wrench in the workflow I've had for literally decades. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same with me. Having to replace JPEGs and PNGs with copies in Premiere Pro
has been a huge time sucker.

--
Dave Richmond
714 273 2534
daverichmond.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update. I just came in here to check on some kind of fix for this absolutely *absurd* issue in Photoshop software. I'm currently on Big Sur and never had this issue on Mojave, so when I found my files being named with a 'copy' element instead of overwriting them, it threw me for a loop. I wasn't sure if this was a Mac OS issue or Adobe, but now I'm convinced this is Adobe. 

Been using Adobe software for  25 years and I've never dealt with such a—quite frankly—asinine bug in all my years. The sliders in the Brightness/Contrast, Selective Color, etc. are also quite laggy (I'm on a Mac Pro, it's not the machine). So, unfortunately, there are issues that they just sit on for sometimes years, it seems. 

We can only hope this issue gets fixed in the next update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, Intel and Apple just seem to be old and outdated technology - repackaging and marketing the wagon wheel - while competing countries are driving electric cars

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I'm hoping for a better fix like anyone who has complained here, I've been using a workaround that has been saving me a ton of time that I thought I'd share because I don't see it elsewhere. Not sure it will work for everyone but it's been helping with some of the annoyances that result from this bug.

When I go to "save as — jpg," instead of saving in the place where I'd overwrite my old jpg, I save in a subfolder (I created a subfolder just for this purpose)—so it's a new jpg and I'm not replacing anything. Then, after it's saved, in Apple's finder menu I move the new jpg file from the subfolder to the place the old jpg file was. When my mac asks me if I want to replace the file (because they have the same name), I say yes. And it replaces it. (So adobe isn't involved in the replacement at all).

Obviously, this is far from perfect—it still has extra steps that are aggravating. But for me it's been faster than any alternatives and it has helped me save a lot of time with not retyping the title a bunch, constantly deleting files, or messing things up if the file is linked or something. For example, if I have the file open with a bunch of other jpgs in preview—I don't have to close everything and then reopen because I had to change and delete one file that was in the stack. I can just change the file and it updates as it used to before the bug. 

Not a perfect solution at all, but it's saved me time so I thought I'd share.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Krafty!

I appreciate you sharing this workaround.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd just been manually deleting the previous file before saving the new one but this definitely seems faster for my workflows, thanks for the workaround tip at least for the time being!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, with some things I think deleting the previous file is still the easiest way to go, depending on what you are doing. But it was messing with linked-up places for me (like if I had multiple jpgs put together into a larger thing open in Preview so I could view them in sequence, if I deleted the old jpg I'd have to close the whole thing and reopen it instead of it automatically updating as it used to when I just replaced the old jpg). I like that this option avoided that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use Save For Web (then select jpg), instead of Save As JPG, there are no overwriting issues. I don’t know if there’s a difference in quality or not. If there is, I haven’t been able to detect it, but this is by far the best workaround for this stupid problem that Adobe has zero interest in fixing.

----

Bianca 🙂

bianca.esteban

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when you save for web it will reduce the pixel depth and colour range will be forced RGB so while this works for web ready jpgs it doesn't help with non rgb/72ppi jpgs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ฉันปิดคอมพิวเตอร์ได้

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My workaround is designing in artboards and export artboards to files, this doesn’t affect image quality or dpi...or I use the file>export as an option if I'm using the design on screen I don't mind a 72DPI file output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 15, 2021 May 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't like our chances of every seeing this fixed. I've just updated to 22.4 and now they have introduced a secondary button to save as a Jpeg or PNG COPY! If I have a layered document the main drop down does not even list those formats anymore. Only PSD and TIFF. So not only do we have the same problem there is now and extra click. 

Then if you click this secondary button it refreshes the file dialog completely, even taking me to a different directory than the one I had just navigated to. Plus there is a little "i" button which if clicked on pops up a panel which says "Not seeing a desired format like JPEG or PNG? Use Save a Copy (⌥⌘S) for all formats and to create a preserved version of your document." and a link to a help page. I'm going to start learning Affinity Photo this week, see if it can start replacing whatever this program is turning in to. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was done to circumvent an unresolvable policy change in MacOS Catalina. Since Apple didn't want to change it, Adobe had to find a way to work around it.

Actually, this just reverts to how Photoshop originally worked. If you, for instance, wanted to save a layered file as jpeg, you simply couldn't - for the simple reason it's not allowed in the jpeg specification. You had to get rid of all the offending properties before you could save.

The ability to directly save a jpeg-copy-on-the-fly was introduced sometime around CS4. But with Catalina, that function didn't work properly anymore, hence this long thread among many.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I guess I have been using that for so long I cannot recall the awkward method being used before. So on Windows the on the fly method works correctly still? Regardless the funtionality of the above I have described is even worse than before this update, it's not an improvement as there is now an extra button that also visibly refreshes the dialog and will change directories if you have navigated away before clicking it. The extra info panel as well seems all very rough. If I had more information on this policy change by Apple I would be appealing to them as well. Has Adobe shared these details already?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this never was a problem on Windows, but they changed the global behavior of Photoshop for consistency. They really had to do that. Photoshop has always worked identically on both platforms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE FIX THIS!!!! Everytime I update I cross my fingers that this will be resolved. This is a bug. Why does PS ask me if I want to replace file and then NOT replace the file!? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines