Exit

Saving force restarts PC

Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm using photoshop version: 21.2.3.
When I save, with "save as", or simply with "ctrl+s" (by default) on a project, my PC crashes after 2-3 saves (in 10 minutes or less, sometimes after hours). Mostly the recovered files are damaged or very outdated. This happens now since 2 months, and it got worse. In the beggining this happend two or three times per day, now constantly. Tried multiple storage devices, with the same results.

I'm using Win 10 64bit with the latest updates.
Event Viewer has no resource connected to this issue. 
The config is: i9 10900x; Quadro RTX 4000; 64Gb DDR IV at 2933 MHz; 970 EVO Plus for OS and 860 EVO for Saving.
My company's IT team has found no issues with the operating system or any hardware errors.

I have reinstalled, reseted the preferences, but nothing changed.

I find this very very very frustrating. I have seen similar posts without solutions. I'm using your products since 15 years, from far, this is the worst bug ever. I'm very annoyed and thinking to switch to other applications because my productionrate has fallen huge, and my customers will never accept a software failure.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

So Everybody, I have found the solution. You had right in a way and I have to say, sorry, i was very frustrated.

The problem was with the motherboards BIOS, it requested an update, and after that the windows required a new ME Driver.
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/WS-X299-SAGE/HelpDesk_BIOS/

The main problem was, that the original bios driver, didn't function well with win 10. And put up increased voltages on the CPU without any reason. Somehow the Photoshop saves affected the PC mostly, whic

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I moved your post over from the poorly named "Using the Community" forum, which is for getting help using this forum system, to a better forum.

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

Sounds like you have a hardware problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user Forum, so you are not really addressing Adobe here, even though some Adobe employees thankfully have been dropping by.

But one thing seems certain anyway: This is not a Photoshop bug. 

Photoshop cannot crash a modern OS. 

Apart from the previously mentioned hardware issues a driver seems like a possible culprit. 

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If c.pfaffenbichler's suggestion doesn't resolve the issue , I suggest you unistall InDesign, using the drop-down menu in the Creative Cloud app, and reinstall it again. If that doesn't solve the problem then unistall it once again and then run Adobe Cleaner before reinstalling InDesign again.

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help and suggestions. To proof that it's a Photoshop failure, I have reverted to 20.0.10 and I can save without crashing my PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does not prove what you seem to think it does. 

An application cannot crash a modern OS. 

If you think it does it may just be that Photoshop is the only application you use that makes sufficient demands to reveal the flaw of another component. 

And that Photoshop 21 may make different demands than Photoshop 20 should not be unexpected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By Saving? Really?
In Cinema 4D Rendering does Fine, Preimer Pro with Media Encoder does Fine, Photoshop handels Photomerging in Huge resolutions fine. But saving PDF is eating up more resources than any? But if, than it is a flaw again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop cannot crash the OS … if the OS crashes something else must be at fault. 

If no other application reveals the flaw – great. 

Still not Photoshop’s flaw. 

And funny how you only now mention pdf. 

Which pdf settings do you use? 

Do you save »Preserve Photoshop Editing …« checked? 

What are the Color Mode, bit depth, pixel dimensions of the image? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I'm sorry, not PDF, but PSD.
By PSD everything is by default. Color Profiles are sRGB or Adobe RGB.
But whatever I save in JPG or PNG, the crash appears, instantly, like really instatly. When I press on Save or with ctrl+s.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New versions make new calls to drivers, which may trigger latent bugs.

The first thing you need to do in any troubleshooting, is to drop all assumptions. If you've read Robert Pirsig's "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance" you'll know what I mean 😉

And c.p. is right: Applications are incapable of crashing an OS. It can freeze and not respond, but not crash. There are insulating layers to prevent that. Drivers can however.

This kind of thing happens all the time. Usually it's the video driver, but it can also be tablet, disk controllers, whatever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Everybody, I have found the solution. You had right in a way and I have to say, sorry, i was very frustrated.

The problem was with the motherboards BIOS, it requested an update, and after that the windows required a new ME Driver.
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/WS-X299-SAGE/HelpDesk_BIOS/

The main problem was, that the original bios driver, didn't function well with win 10. And put up increased voltages on the CPU without any reason. Somehow the Photoshop saves affected the PC mostly, which is above than weird. It took me two months in the end, to figure this out. I don't even know who to blame now.

Even the IT team had no clue whats going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am impressed that you dug that deep and solved the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm impressed too. Ever considered a career in IT? 😄

The BIOS isn't quite as scary as the registry, but it's a close second. It's like that basement full of spiders, you just don't want to go down there. I had to update the BIOS once. I made the classic mistake of buying a CPU that was so bleeding edge new that the BIOS didn't properly support it. Since then I have always made a point of picking components with about a year on the market, so that I know every wrinkle has been ironed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good for you. Glad you got it figured out ans that you posted the solution here.

Many would of just hide their heads and never posted back that the information you received turned out to be correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines