Saving Photoshop files in PDF so that text can be selected

New Here ,
Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have received Photoshop files from a client that wants us to make copy changes to artwork and then save them as a PDF.  This PDF needs to have the selectable text so that we can upload the PDF to their content approval system, annotate and highlight and link it to other PDFs uploaded to their system.

Saving as "Photoshop PDF's" flattens the artwork and doesn't allow us to select the text. This is an 80-page, layered document and we don't have time or budget to recreate it in InDesign. 

Can anyone suggest how we save PDF's with selectable text?

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Saving Photoshop files in PDF so that text can be selected

New Here ,
Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have received Photoshop files from a client that wants us to make copy changes to artwork and then save them as a PDF.  This PDF needs to have the selectable text so that we can upload the PDF to their content approval system, annotate and highlight and link it to other PDFs uploaded to their system.

Saving as "Photoshop PDF's" flattens the artwork and doesn't allow us to select the text. This is an 80-page, layered document and we don't have time or budget to recreate it in InDesign. 

Can anyone suggest how we save PDF's with selectable text?

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 25, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Saving as "Photoshop PDF's" flattens the artwork and doesn't allow us to select the text.«

When saving a pdf copy I get searchable text; how are you creating the pdfs exactly? 

Do the type layers employ faux styles? 

»This is an 80-page, layered document«

Photoshop has no pages, what do you mean exactly? 

And I wonder why your client gave you this job … trying to create an 80-page publication with text in Photoshop sounds like someone did not think something through. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2020 2
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We received Photoshop files for an interactive document - I know this is not the correct programme for what we need to achieve, but here we are... looking for a solution, without having to recreate the 80 "pages/slides".

I have attached a screenshot (information deleted/blocked out). There are +-10 PSD files, each with about 10 different layer groups that represent separate " Pages/slides", or pop ups for interactivity. We need to edit the copy on each of these, then re-assemble into a PDF (with the single files form each layered group) that has searchable/editable text so that we can link the copy in their approval system. 

Please can you explain how to save the PDF copy with searchable text. I can only get a Photoshop PDF, that doesn't allow text searching, or only converts some of the text to be searchable.

Screenshot 2020-11-26 at 11.20.00.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do local work for a large international Pharma company that develops international material and then we localize it per country, by adding relevant information to a specific country to the artwork.

So the artwork that we receive varies in origination software. If we were to recreate these files it would defy the objective of them having a single document to have localised in different countries, so we have to try to figure ut how to do it. Not the best solution, but this is what we have.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So just to make sure: Are the Type Layers definitively Type Layers? 

Using 

File > Save As 

with »As a Copy« and setting »PDF« for the format (PDF/X-4) I get a pdf with searchable text. 

Editable may be another issue, though … 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, most of the text layers are Type layers (not rastered). I will try the above and let you know.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did another test and the pdf I created and opened in Acrobat

• has searchable text

• but the text is not editable in a meaningful way. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I also did a test, and it seems like there were some font issues as well. If I replace the fonts it seems to clear up most of the issues, but not all. So some of the text is searchable and some not... which is confusing.

Fortunately we don't need to edit the text, just highlight it in the PDF and then upload to their approval system, for comments and annotations from the reviewers.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do some of the Type Layers employ faux styles? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Faux styles? Please clarify.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 27, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The faux bold for example: 

Screenshot 2020-11-27 at 11.52.53.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 27, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do it from InDesign. Photoshop is the wrong tool for this, totally unsuitable.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2020 1
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We were supplied with the Photoshop files.

I know it's the wrong tool, (would never design this kind of document in PSD)but somehow there are international designers who work in Photoshop to develop layered PSD files that they then convert to HTML. We need a step in between, for approvals.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This job needs creating in InDesign using Layers for the different languages. Maybe you could do a proposal for the company explaining how it might work – you might get the contract!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2020 1
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately re-creating is not an option.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2020 0