This conversation has been locked.

SCALE 2019 VERSION

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The SCALE feature does NOT work!  It is locked in proportion and does not allow flexibility.  HELP!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by John Waller | Adobe Community Professional

It's a new feature. The old behaviour has been reversed. Default = proportional (constrain). Shift for non-proportional. Few people see any logic in this change.

Plenty of forum posts on this

Scaling Images with shift no longer works after update (20.0)

CC20 transform tool: Shift doesn't keep Aspect ratio

The new behaviour can be disabled.

To revert to the legacy transform behavior, do the following:

1. Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor on Mac OS to create a plain text file (.txt).
  2. Type the text below in the text file:

TransformProportionalScale 0

3. Save the file as "PSUserConfig.txt" to your Photoshop settings folder:
    • Windows: [Installation Drive]:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings\
    • macOS: //Users/[User Name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings/

Views

Translate

Translate

Oct 16, 2018 8
288 Replies 288
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are referring the changes to transform you need to read  the update documentation and read this forum search on transform

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Oct 16, 2018 4
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why not just answer the question?

Translate

Translate

Oct 16, 2018 3
Enthusiast ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meanwhile, I too am having problems with the application getting into an unusable state. A wide variety of menu items will suddenly be disabled, including Quit. I reported this in another post.

Translate

Translate

Oct 16, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has, for some unfathomable reason, to put the lock on proportion as the default.

Hold shift to warp.

This is not a good update.

Translate

Translate

Oct 16, 2018 65
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woah no way! This is amazing

Translate

Translate

Oct 16, 2018 1
Enthusiast ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a good change, but I agree with Patrick: It needs to be consistent across the board. Isn't that obvious?

Translate

Translate

Oct 16, 2018 6
Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is NOT a good change. This is an arbitrary change that follows no conventions across the spectrum of adobe products and conventions across all must M$ programs. I love the OPTION to change it, but with that comes the option to change it back. And they made this aribtrary change with NO option to easily change it. LAME!

Translate

Translate

Oct 31, 2018 6
Participant ,
Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% agree! What's so hard about having a check box to allow the user to decide how she/he wants scaling to be performed? -- with or without modifier keys. Currently, there are over 140 options in Photoshop Preferences. Why not add in one more (for a behavior that you broke).

Translate

Translate

Oct 31, 2018 6
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like a reasonable update so far. Some changes to get used to (or disable) but some interesting new features.

Translate

Translate

Oct 16, 2018 2
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had three hangs where Photoshop has stopped responding and I had to terminate it with the task manager and have issues with the new frame feature where images are not scaled by the feature to fill the frame.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Oct 16, 2018 2
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone's mileage may vary, JJMack. Lots of people having no issues so far. Happily I'm one of them. Time will tell.

Translate

Translate

Oct 16, 2018 0
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that the new method is counter-intuitive. SHIFT is universally used to CONSTRAIN (no?)

Translate

Translate

Oct 21, 2018 1
Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

timf30635073  wrote

I agree that the new method is counter-intuitive. SHIFT is universally used to CONSTRAIN (no?)

Is anything actually universal?  I would just like operation of tools in Photoshop be consistent I do not need universal.  That will not happen in my lifetime.   Perhaps when all speak the same language and communication is perfect universal may be possible.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Oct 21, 2018 0
Enthusiast ,
Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

timf30635073  wrote

No. Some applications use the more-sensible Ctrl, to control (constrain) resizing.

While I like the change to the default when resizing from a corner, it should not apply when resizing from edges; and I agree with the complaints here: All of the resizing should work the same way throughout the application.

What is going on at Adobe that results in such shoddy attention to detail? MAKE BEHAVIOR CONSISTENT.

Translate

Translate

Oct 22, 2018 2
Participant ,
Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's that UNIVERSAL that is the key. Why change (only partially) a convention that has been around for decades across most applications and both major platforms? I don't buy the thin excuse that it's to accommodate mobile devices. I use Photoshop Express on my iPad Pro and it's nothing like the interface on my Mac, nor would I expect it to be. A four-door sedan and a motorcycle will both get you places, but driving each involves a distinct set of operations. Hey Adobe, why not do something useful and provide a keyboard shortcut for "Delete the selected master photo from disk, or just remove it from Lightroom?" in Lightroom? Pressing the "D" key in Photoshop works, but not in Lightroom. Again, one wonders if anyone at Adobe talks to anyone else at Adobe. What makes this so troubling is that Adobe has ACED interface design in so many ways. How they have failed so badly recently is a real head-scratcher. Let's give the name of the new cloud-based Lightroom the same name as the EXISTING program and rename the extant application. B-A-C-K-W-A-R-D-S.

Translate

Translate

Oct 24, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! I agree. I rarely have issue with Adobe but this they got to fix this issue they created.

Translate

Translate

Oct 25, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so illogical. There's a "lock proportion" button at the top that enabled this feature as you needed it and now you can't turn it off.

Translate

Translate

Nov 28, 2018 2
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed!!!!!

Translate

Translate

Jan 14, 2019 1
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you jthornton42, holding shift after using the free transform tool worked perfectly!

Translate

Translate

Jan 23, 2019 0
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the Shift tip!

Translate

Translate

Feb 01, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm starting to think that Adobe developers/designers are sitting in their offices with nothing to do, so they're coming up with hair-brained ideas like this one to absolutely f#@& with users. Why on earth would you take a simple thing that has been around since the beginning of time and flip it? Is this the upside down? I think too much dark matter has entered our world.

Translate

Translate

Mar 07, 2019 2
Participant ,
Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s not far-fetched. I know a guy who is a project manager for a large building developer. He has a job for a couple of years, the building’s finished, and he is out of work, at least until he’s picked up for another building. Software development isn’t completely dissimilar. Your team writes a great application, it works wonders. Except for enhancements (this was not one of those), and they may be many or few, some programmers may find themselves with little to do to justify their paychecks. And, the idea of wrecking the desktop app to ‘conform’ to an upgrade to the mobile app is idiotic. They are two very different platforms so they need two different approaches. One size does NOT fit all. A dark matter indeed.

Translate

Translate

Mar 07, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I AGREE , ADOBE PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE THINGS THAT HAVE BEEN WORKING FOR EVER !

Translate

Translate

Jun 17, 2019 3
Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An option to change to the Legacy Free Transform has been added to version 20.0.5

Translate

Translate

Jun 18, 2019 4
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! So happy adobe have added this -- My heart sank a bit after PS updated this morning, and my PSconfig file was still there -- at first I thought they'd overridden it or something...

Translate

Translate

Jun 18, 2019 4
Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How long this update is up? Was that silently added or loudly announced officially since so awaited for long?

Translate

Translate

Jun 18, 2019 0
Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure I just got notification this morning about a new update

Translate

Translate

Jun 18, 2019 1
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a new feature. The old behaviour has been reversed. Default = proportional (constrain). Shift for non-proportional. Few people see any logic in this change.

Plenty of forum posts on this

Scaling Images with shift no longer works after update (20.0)

CC20 transform tool: Shift doesn't keep Aspect ratio

The new behaviour can be disabled.

To revert to the legacy transform behavior, do the following:

1. Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor on Mac OS to create a plain text file (.txt).
  2. Type the text below in the text file:

TransformProportionalScale 0

3. Save the file as "PSUserConfig.txt" to your Photoshop settings folder:
    • Windows: [Installation Drive]:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings\
    • macOS: //Users/[User Name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings/

Translate

Translate

Oct 16, 2018 46
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This path does not exist on my Mac.

Translate

Translate

Oct 18, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, this isn't working for me.

Without doubt one of the most annoying things Adobe have done. It's fine as an update but to do it without being able to turn it off is just stupid.

And my buddy and me were joking over what might be broken this time only a few days ago - we would never have guessed it would be something so fundamental to how we've been working for *years*.

Translate

Translate

Oct 19, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I'm seeing - please help anyone if you can. This is driving me nuts.

Capture.PNG

Translate

Translate

Oct 19, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you John Waller!

You just prevented me from reverting to the older version

qurja.jpg

Translate

Translate

Oct 19, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have the path indicated above whatsoever?

Such a confusing thing where to make this change. Sorry for being snarly but extremely frustrated with this change.

Translate

Translate

Oct 19, 2018 0
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!

Translate

Translate

Oct 22, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the fix on the PSUserConfig but i can't find the library under the user/ [user name]. Can anyone help me here please?Screenshot 2018-10-25 at 14.42.23.png

Translate

Translate

Oct 25, 2018 0
Participant ,
Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just off the top of my head here but maybe either set Finder to show the Hidden Library folder or take a look in Application Support?
Sorry for the crap reply, on my PC at work, not my Mac at home.

Translate

Translate

Oct 25, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing! Thank you. Saved me there!

Translate

Translate

Oct 25, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Life saver!!!! Thank you so much!!!!  I did this easy fix and it does work for me on Windows 10.

Translate

Translate

Oct 25, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the solution. I do both web design and illustration, and I can see both versions being useful and troublesome depending on what you're doing more often. Still this should have been at least an option you could change without having to add files in folders on your own that you search for in the forums.. For art this is extremely uncomfortable, for design I'm sure after some getting used to and adjusting the muscle memory it will be neat.

Still though. Hope they make it an option you can tick on and off with a minor update next time there is one. This time they added cool features but it seems like they half-assed them instead of spending a liiiitle more time thinking about how different types of users would be using them. It's funny to see a company creating software to ease testing UX not really put much thought into it and forgetting to add a  simple radio button somewhere.

Translate

Translate

Oct 31, 2018 1
Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add you voice on Adobe feedback site help Adobe understand they are abusing their customers they depend on.   Adobe support has always been poor and keeps going further down hill IMO. Very frustrating bugs keep pilling up. Photoshop is becoming a mine field.

Speak out on the web site Photoshop Family Customer Community

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Oct 31, 2018 2
Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh I had my share of customer support from Adobe a couple of months ago and I'm never ever contacting them again unless the icon literally starts burning trough the screen I was wondering though how to get to that community so I'll add another post and will upvote the guys that request a way to go back to the default, hopefully with enough opinions they'll add an option in there. I saw somebody mentioning in the comments in one of those that when you disable "maintain aspect ratio" the tool still keeps the proportions and I noticed it as well while I was trying to turn this thing off, and I do believe that person is right - it's probably a bug that's not allowing people to make a choice. I enjoy the rest of the updates so far, a lot of things needed to be added a long time ago, I mean free software I use for drawing has had them for a while now. We'll see I guess.

Translate

Translate

Oct 31, 2018 1
Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its a slow go. That site show that the are 293 bugs that Adobe is working on or have been acknowledge as a bug.

Additionally the are 6,600+ Problem report that Adobe has made no comments about.

I have had a bug I report be acknowledge as a bugs and seen Adobe withdraw my bug report.  They Ask me to with draw it I did NOT want to I told Adobe that Photoshop is their Programs do what you want you should want to fix Photoshop Bugs. Adobe withdraw my bug report.  Other are acknowledged and just stay on the books Photoshop: Script bug resize layer back document up one history state | Photoshop Family Customer Co...

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Oct 31, 2018 2
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i already have a PSUserConfig File which is used to reverse the deafault tablet API to the legacy one, otherwise i wouldn't be able to use the tablet.
However if i add the string you put here, the scale is not reverted to the old behaviour (no shift scale, shift scale proportionally)
is there a way to get this to work? if i put it after the "UseSystemStylus 0" this does not work, i'll try putting it before and let you know if it does.

Anyway, it's really boring to have to deal with all of this at every major update. this should be an option in the preference if you really want to change it, and especially since you made it inconsistent with the rest of the software (everything else use shift to scale proportionally except the transform tool).

I could deal with this if PS was a free opensource software, not with am industry standard tool paid tool which also forces updates in your machine.

Dealing with this is a waste of time and therefore money, does not add anything to the software, and it also creates more complex problems when dealing with Config files and the likes

Translate

Translate

Nov 03, 2018 1
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does not work even if i put it before the Wintab string

Translate

Translate

Nov 03, 2018 0
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work for me! I cannot find the location on my mac, maybe because I use an other language on my mac?

Translate

Translate

Jan 21, 2019 0
Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you're browsing to the correct Library folder on your Mac.

https://www.noterepeat.com/articles/how-to/70-mac-os-x-accessing-hidden-library-folders

Translate

Translate

Jan 21, 2019 1
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works.

Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Jan 29, 2019 0
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you thank you thank you! This has been driving me mad. So relieved to have it fixed.

Translate

Translate

Feb 05, 2019 2
New Here ,
May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as a note for MacOS X users, if you do create it in TextEdit it will try and save as an .rtf file.

Easy workaround, in TextEdit go to Format > Make Plain Text and then you'll be able to save as a .txt file.

But yeah - thanks for this fix - it has been doing my head in since they updated it. This should be a toggle feature - I've been using Photoshop for 24 years and I've suddenly got to reverse my thinking?

Translate

Translate

May 16, 2019 1
Participant ,
May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to fix, but what a pain in the ass. I've been using ps forever and I'm getting frustrated with Adobe these days. This was beyond stupid on their part. What are they going to mess up next?

Translate

Translate

May 16, 2019 2
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously Adobe? Who thought this was a good idea?

For years, muscle memory of all your users is ingrained to hold shift to resize with dimension lock and to not when wanting to squish or widen.
Now you just reverse that overnight for no clear reason??

Here is the REAL problem with the matter - the inconsistency:

1. If you drag image corners, it defaults to LOCKING dimensions. Shift allows free transforming.

2. If you drag a rectangle shape, it defaults to FREE transform. Shift then locks the dimensions!

Look, it would have been bad enough if Adobe just reversed them overnight. That already was frustrating.

But then to implement it so inconsistently just makes no sense and will drive me and everybody else crazy.

Then... the only way to DISABLE it is to write some code in a text file and upload it to your application? Seriously?

Adobe... please get your **** together. You're not a Alpha build game on Steam trying to figure things out as you go. You're a massive company with a huge share of the professional market.

Translate

Translate

Oct 16, 2018 119
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Btw, when I tried to post this as a new forum post, Adobe deleted it. Hopefully they won't do the same to my comment above.

If you're going to make a change like this at least make it reversible in preferences.

Translate

Translate

Oct 16, 2018 29
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you new thread was deleted  I would think that would be a rare thing to be done if it was not offence containing nudity.  I would believe it may have just failed to be created

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Oct 16, 2018 1
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another possibility is that it might have been moved to a new forum by a moderator.

Translate

Translate

Oct 16, 2018 1
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack, I first got an email saying the thread was approved by a moderator. Then I got an email saying it was disapproved by a moderator.

Though someone just commented on it, so perhaps they re-approved it? Idk. No nudity of course. Just a single "s***" that was starred out automatically.

Translate

Translate

Oct 16, 2018 0
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess the moderator did not like the jive censorship.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Oct 16, 2018 2
Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

patrick-vici  wrote

Btw, when I tried to post this as a new forum post, Adobe deleted it. Hopefully they won't do the same to my comment above.

If you're going to make a change like this at least make it reversible in preferences.

Patrick, is this the post you are looking for?

SCALE-GATE 2019

Personally, I like the proportional scale as a default. Even so, I would like it reversible not in Preferences, but in the Options bar where it is easy to change it on the fly.

Also, just FYI, this is a user forum, so “Adobe” did not delete or move or modify your first post. If that was done, it would have been done by a volunteer who is also a moderator. If it is done incorrectly, it needs to be reported. Probably Forum Comments is the best place to report issues with the forums. Jive is the software use by the forum itself. It does not delete posts automatically, but does asterisk out some words.

In your case, it looks like it’s been resolved. If not, please post back.

Translate

Translate

Oct 19, 2018 0
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

props on using "jive" in a forum.  +10 points

BTW, I should be able to figure out something like this WITHOUT having to use a browser.....

Translate

Translate

Nov 26, 2018 1
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so frustrated with SCALE (and other tool changes) that I couldn't explain myself.  Thank you for clearly stating the PROBLEM.  I use SCALE often and this is not thought through.  What can be done?? How can we get ADOBE to fix this and not put out versions that are incomplete.

Translate

Translate

Oct 16, 2018 11
Enthusiast ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is it "incomplete?"

Translate

Translate

Oct 16, 2018 0
Participant ,
Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely agree. BONEHEADED move by Adobe. Let's throw away, oh 30+ years of convention, for, well, no particular reason. I can't believe the geniuses who created Photoshop are this clueless. First it was a phone call yesterday to Adobe support because the character palette in Illustrator isn't working properly (touch type tool is stuck, font name doesn't show up in field), then this gem today. 2019 update is a bust so far, and for completely silly reasons. I could understand if it was some complex feature that got a rework, like Select and Mask, but please don't mess with decades of a simple convention (shift = constrain) that is shared across multiple applications from multiple app developers across multiple operating systems. Just plain dumb.

Translate

Translate

Oct 17, 2018 25