• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scaling Images with shift no longer works after update (20.0)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to CC 2019, I am not longer able to scale images evenly simply by holding shift.

I went to keyboard shortcuts and found a "scale" shortcut that was unassigned, so i assigned it to "S" as it simply wouldn't let me assign shift:

Capture.JPG

Now it seems to only want to scale evenly and won't let me scale however I want simply by dragging the corner of the image. Sometimes it doesn't go evenly when I transform with Ctrl+T and scales evenly after I press S, but wont let me go back to scaling unevenly.

Any Ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Participant , Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Proportional scaling (without holding Shift) is now a default. Holding Shift while scaling now behaves in precisely the opposite manner, despite decades of precedent and the fact that every other application uses Shift-drag for proportional scaling.

Why? Who knows. This is easily one of the most unnecessary and counterintuitive changes Adobe has ever made.

Details and instructions for how to disable it are at the link below.

New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Lots of people reporting this as a bug but it's a new feature. The behaviour in previous versions has now been reversed. Default is now proportional (constrain) - no Shift required. Shift for non-proportional.

New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

It can be disabled if required (refer "New and enhanced..." link above - steps from that link reproduced below).

How do I turn off the new proportional scaling by default be

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

It's a new feature. The old behaviour has been reversed. Default = proportional (constrain). Shift for non-proportional. Few people see any logic in this change.

Plenty of forum posts on this

CC20 transform tool: Shift doesn't keep Aspect ratio

The new behaviour can be disabled.

To revert to the legacy transform behavior, do the following:

1. Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor on Mac OS to create a plain text file (.txt).
  2. Type the text belo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 479 Replies 479
LEGEND ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably that's not possible as users who refresh this topic are mostly new comers who just found out that inconsistency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure it's possible. Newcomers can read the info, see the available attempts at a workaround, take in the sentiments, and then refrain from posting the same thing over and over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or we can keep posting it until Adobe actually do something about it ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck with that.

While you're at it, get them to add "Paste as new image" to Photoshop and a proper selection method to Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's better to take their attention by still posting, especially via new users experiencing same problem. That shows the scale.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It shows the scale! LOLOLOLOL Thankya for the Friday funnies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loll I didn't know what I wrote in my post that some people liked it in so short time. Then you additionally said that's funny so I decided to check original poster input and found that I was not aware writing my sentence. The title of topic was "SCALE 2019 VERSION (The SCALE feature does NOT work!)" I meant scale of the problem there arissed, but yes the comparision fits perfectly to the old / new 'unwanted' feature behaviour

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Errrr ... no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the new behaviour makes the most sense. It will reduce the instances of accidental non-proportional scaling. If you want to scale it proportionally (which is most often the case) use corner handles. If you want to stretch something, use the side handles. No big deal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then why the inconsistency between images and shapes? That is my biggest complaint really. Thats just confusing to users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

reduce the instances of accidental non-proportional scaling

I'm sorry for your struggle, that sounds unpleasant.

Transform tools work the same way across every major graphics program.

You don't go and change something that fundamental without:

A. a good reason, and

B. an obvious way to revert it

There is no good reason to force everyone to relearn a basic tool for just one program.

There is no obvious way to revert it.

To everyone who thinks it should work differently; that is your preference, it is subjective.

I want Free Transform to be Free Transform. I want consistency across programs. You may want something else.

Not a big deal to you. A very big deal to me.

Adobe's job is to do their best to make sure it works for both of us.

I have no problem with Adobe exploring alternate workflows, that's fine and good.

But it needs to be implemented as an elective option, not like this.

This 100% needs to revert.

If this exists, it exists as an option in the preference pane or toolbar where it belongs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, 100% agree Nate.

Just out of curiosity to confirm my suspicion, I went into Illustrator, Indesign, After Effects.... not a single one follows this new Photoshop change. All of them maintain the common sense long held UX of free transform being default and maintaining dimensions with Shift.

Photoshop is the only program that was changed in this regard.

So besides being inconsistent within Photoshop itself, Adobe was inconsistent across its entire suite as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree Adobe could have handled it much better, but I believe with the rise of graphics software (even Photoshop itself) on devices that don't necessarily have a keyboard attached, this new behaviour will become the norm. Seems that the PS crew may have jumped into it a little too eagerly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The norm?

For a strict photo editing program, sure - for a graphics program, certainly not.

What do keyboards have to do with it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty hard to hold down a Shift key when there isn't one. PS is coming to iPad next year, looks like they're starting to lay the groundwork to make the user experience behave more similarly on both where possible. I could be wrong but can't think of why else they'd change it. Assume the other CC software will follow suit eventually.

Again, not saying I agree with how they've handled the transition. And yes it does aggravate me that the apps across the suite never seem to be in sync with their UX conventions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there's no Shift key on iOS; you two-finger pinch to scale proportionally and tap-drag the transform handles for non-proportional (the same way Transform works everywhere else). These behaviors aren't new.

This really isn't about platform, or even content (what I was getting at earlier), it's about convention and user preference.

re: convention, it should revert

All transform tools essentially work the same, and they have for the 25+ years I've been using them.

I see no objective benefit to changing the behavior (let alone the default), and many objective reasons not to.

re: user preference, add a toggle

If a user wants to change the behavior, they can √ it.

Problem solved.

Users offended = zero

Users enabled = at least one  : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel the same way! Already 2 days using this reverse scale. BUT don't know why my hand always-always holding shift when my mind want to scale proportionally. its confusing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you think that's confusing, wait until you forget to hold down shift when using another program that requires shift to constrain images. That is, EVERY OTHER APPLICATION, or at least the ones that aren't from Adobe, assuming Adobe will spread this abomination across all of its apps. That's precisely the reason why it's a BONEHEADED move. Oh, wait, now I have to remember that when I'm using an Adobe product, the decades old convention no longer holds, but when I'm using software from sensible developers, the decades old convention has been retained. Just what we all needed. Another stupid computer trick to have to keep track of (as if our clients weren't enough fun ;-).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke with the program manager about this change, as I wasn't happy with it either. His response for the change was to align the scaling with many other programs. Most pixel and text based layers are only sized proprotionally, so pressing the shift key is an extra step. Where as sizing vector layers, the aspect ratio is often changed, so the old default was left on for that. At some point our old muscle memory will change, and it might be a good change. I'm not convinced, but that was the reasoning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you check Illustrator? I used these 2 brother 90%. Adobe Illustrator scale system still same like old one. sigh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the other Adobe apps will change at some point. He said that there were 3 Adobe apps the use the old PS method. We'll see, if they follow through.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! At least it will be compatible across Adobe apps, but (and Adobe may not be aware of this) some of us also use non-Adobe apps. I just checked my Microsoft Office for Mac and Apple iWork apps, and, yes, they use the shift-drag convention to maintain the aspect ratio of objects. That's my whole complaint. I used to be just Microsoft that deployed "non-standard" conventions, but even they don't go that far.

Adobe told you that "Most pixel and text based layers are only sized proportionally, so pressing the shift key is an extra step." I don't find that to be the case, at least not in the Photoshop I used. (I just tested it in Photoshop CS6.) Both the pixel-based and text layers used to resize ad lib unless you pressed the shift key to constrain proportions. What in the world are they talking about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm supposing, then, that Adobe will be contacting every other developer to get them to switch their convention to match this one? Muscle memory will change, but will it notice which application it's using when it does?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"our muscle memory will change" within the same program the creation of new items conforms to the EXACT OPPOSITE convention and in EVERY OTHER program i use *gasp* outside of adobe does (and has FOR effing ever) used the old method.

My muscle memory is just fine, switching it over between apps AND within the same app is effing LUNACY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't help that all their other programs are still using the older method, even other programs use SHIFT for proportional scaling. It is a design trend that should not change. There is no benefit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines