Highlighted

SCALE-GATE 2019

Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously Adobe? Who thought this was a good idea?

For years, muscle memory of all your users is ingrained to hold shift to resize with dimension lock and to not when wanting to squish or widen.
Now you just reverse that overnight for no clear reason??

Here is the REAL problem with the matter - the inconsistency:

1. If you drag image corners, it defaults to LOCKING dimensions. Shift allows free transforming.

2. If you drag a rectangle shape, it defaults to FREE transform. Shift then locks the dimensions!

Look, it would have been bad enough if Adobe just reversed them overnight. That already was frustrating.

But then to implement it so inconsistently just makes no sense and will drive me and everybody else crazy.

Then... the only way to DISABLE it is to write some code in a text file and upload it to your application? Seriously?

Adobe... please get your shit together. You're not a Alpha build game on Steam trying to figure things out as you go. You're a massive company with a huge share of the professional market.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

SCALE-GATE 2019

Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously Adobe? Who thought this was a good idea?

For years, muscle memory of all your users is ingrained to hold shift to resize with dimension lock and to not when wanting to squish or widen.
Now you just reverse that overnight for no clear reason??

Here is the REAL problem with the matter - the inconsistency:

1. If you drag image corners, it defaults to LOCKING dimensions. Shift allows free transforming.

2. If you drag a rectangle shape, it defaults to FREE transform. Shift then locks the dimensions!

Look, it would have been bad enough if Adobe just reversed them overnight. That already was frustrating.

But then to implement it so inconsistently just makes no sense and will drive me and everybody else crazy.

Then... the only way to DISABLE it is to write some code in a text file and upload it to your application? Seriously?

Adobe... please get your shit together. You're not a Alpha build game on Steam trying to figure things out as you go. You're a massive company with a huge share of the professional market.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the new behaviour makes the most sense. It will reduce the instances of accidental non-proportional scaling. If you want to scale it proportionally (which is most often the case) use corner handles. If you want to stretch something, use the side handles. No big deal.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then why the inconsistency between images and shapes? That is my biggest complaint really. Thats just confusing to users.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

reduce the instances of accidental non-proportional scaling

I'm sorry for your struggle, that sounds unpleasant.

Transform tools work the same way across every major graphics program.

You don't go and change something that fundamental without:

A. a good reason, and

B. an obvious way to revert it

There is no good reason to force everyone to relearn a basic tool for just one program.

There is no obvious way to revert it.

To everyone who thinks it should work differently; that is your preference, it is subjective.

I want Free Transform to be Free Transform. I want consistency across programs. You may want something else.

Not a big deal to you. A very big deal to me.

Adobe's job is to do their best to make sure it works for both of us.

I have no problem with Adobe exploring alternate workflows, that's fine and good.

But it needs to be implemented as an elective option, not like this.

This 100% needs to revert.

If this exists, it exists as an option in the preference pane or toolbar where it belongs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, 100% agree Nate.

Just out of curiosity to confirm my suspicion, I went into Illustrator, Indesign, After Effects.... not a single one follows this new Photoshop change. All of them maintain the common sense long held UX of free transform being default and maintaining dimensions with Shift.

Photoshop is the only program that was changed in this regard.

So besides being inconsistent within Photoshop itself, Adobe was inconsistent across its entire suite as well.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree Adobe could have handled it much better, but I believe with the rise of graphics software (even Photoshop itself) on devices that don't necessarily have a keyboard attached, this new behaviour will become the norm. Seems that the PS crew may have jumped into it a little too eagerly.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The norm?

For a strict photo editing program, sure - for a graphics program, certainly not.

What do keyboards have to do with it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty hard to hold down a Shift key when there isn't one. PS is coming to iPad next year, looks like they're starting to lay the groundwork to make the user experience behave more similarly on both where possible. I could be wrong but can't think of why else they'd change it. Assume the other CC software will follow suit eventually.

Again, not saying I agree with how they've handled the transition. And yes it does aggravate me that the apps across the suite never seem to be in sync with their UX conventions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there's no Shift key on iOS; you two-finger pinch to scale proportionally and tap-drag the transform handles for non-proportional (the same way Transform works everywhere else). These behaviors aren't new.

This really isn't about platform, or even content (what I was getting at earlier), it's about convention and user preference.

re: convention, it should revert

All transform tools essentially work the same, and they have for the 25+ years I've been using them.

I see no objective benefit to changing the behavior (let alone the default), and many objective reasons not to.

re: user preference, add a toggle

If a user wants to change the behavior, they can √ it.

Problem solved.

Users offended = zero

Users enabled = at least one  : )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines