Scaling a mask in a Photoshop animated timeline

Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working with Photoshop CC 19.1.6 on a Mac using OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.  Unable to scale a mask in my animation timeline.  After checking this forum and other venues, unable to find a definitive answer as to whether it's possible. Anybody else have an answer?  Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using a Frame Animation Timeline or a Video Timeline.   You can animate a layer better in a Video Timeline. To animate scaling in a Frame animation you  would need to create additions layers to increment each step of the scaling animation.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a Video timeline.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hoping there was a less painful way of creating a "reveal" that scaled from 0-100 size from the center out. Wouldn't make for a smart workflow if you needed to edit content for versioning (round mask, square mask, etc.).  Realize there are limitations, and After Effects would be the software of choice, but constrained to Photoshop per client.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never actually never tried to animate an actual layer mask and have it work like I wanted. So I combine the layer mask and layers content by converting the image layer to a smart object layer then animate the layer.   That would zoom the whole layer not just the layer mask effect.  It looks like you can animate the layers opacity so it would most likely be easy to zoom and fade in.   I had trouble when I converted the image to a smart object layer then added a layer mask and tried to animate the layer with a transform.  Even though the layer mask is linked to the layer content and when performed the transform it looked like the layer and mask transform together the animation did not work and the layer mask turned into a hide all layer mask it did transform the way I though it should.  There are animation options for layer mask but I could not find out what they were for.

LO2G5037.gif

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's lovely and smooth JJ.  Nice work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll float this post back to the top too...

I've come up empty trying to animate and scale a layer mask in the Photoshop timeline. Using CC 2018.

I can change the layer mask position, but won't let me scale it between keyframes. Such as if I wanted a small mask circle to get larger to reveal a photo underneath.

Simple stuff.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Love answering my own technotes...

Discovered workaround is doing this in layers and clipping masks. 👍

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines