Highlighted

Scaling down Mac screenshots: inferior results

Contributor ,
Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that scaling down Mac screenshots in Photoshop produces inferior results.

For example, take a screenshot of a window with numerous UI controls (such as  a preferences window etc.) Scale 50% in Photoshop.

The result will be poor. Some parts of screenshot start looking like inferior JPEG. For example, text becomes too black and boldened etc.

I tried all possible resampling methods with the same (or worse) results.

Interestingly, nothing like this happens in Apple's Preview. I now resorted to using Preview when I need to scale down a screenshot. The image quality is totally acceptable.

I noticed it only recently. But I think there were times when I scaled screenshots in Photoshop with no issues.

Am I missing something? Why the primitive Preview suddenly produces better results than Photoshop?

Thanks,

Leo

Topics

Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Scaling down Mac screenshots: inferior results

Contributor ,
Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that scaling down Mac screenshots in Photoshop produces inferior results.

For example, take a screenshot of a window with numerous UI controls (such as  a preferences window etc.) Scale 50% in Photoshop.

The result will be poor. Some parts of screenshot start looking like inferior JPEG. For example, text becomes too black and boldened etc.

I tried all possible resampling methods with the same (or worse) results.

Interestingly, nothing like this happens in Apple's Preview. I now resorted to using Preview when I need to scale down a screenshot. The image quality is totally acceptable.

I noticed it only recently. But I think there were times when I scaled screenshots in Photoshop with no issues.

Am I missing something? Why the primitive Preview suddenly produces better results than Photoshop?

Thanks,

Leo

Topics

Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scaled down Text becomes smaller with less detail bicubic smoother.

What interpretation method did you use in Photoshop one like nearest neighbor will produce awful result

here is Bicubic smoother  af 75% abd 50%.

image.png

First line Windoes screen capture second 75% scaled down then scaled 50%

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
leo_r LATEST
Contributor ,
Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks JJ,

I tried all Resample methods available - none produced satisfactory results. Results from Preview are always better.

Leo

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines