• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scaling Images with shift no longer works after update (20.0)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to CC 2019, I am not longer able to scale images evenly simply by holding shift.

I went to keyboard shortcuts and found a "scale" shortcut that was unassigned, so i assigned it to "S" as it simply wouldn't let me assign shift:

Capture.JPG

Now it seems to only want to scale evenly and won't let me scale however I want simply by dragging the corner of the image. Sometimes it doesn't go evenly when I transform with Ctrl+T and scales evenly after I press S, but wont let me go back to scaling unevenly.

Any Ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Participant , Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Proportional scaling (without holding Shift) is now a default. Holding Shift while scaling now behaves in precisely the opposite manner, despite decades of precedent and the fact that every other application uses Shift-drag for proportional scaling.

Why? Who knows. This is easily one of the most unnecessary and counterintuitive changes Adobe has ever made.

Details and instructions for how to disable it are at the link below.

New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Lots of people reporting this as a bug but it's a new feature. The behaviour in previous versions has now been reversed. Default is now proportional (constrain) - no Shift required. Shift for non-proportional.

It can be disabled if required (refer "New and enhanced..." link above - steps from that link reproduced below).

How do I turn off the new proportional scaling by default be

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

It's a new feature. The old behaviour has been reversed. Default = proportional (constrain). Shift for non-proportional. Few people see any logic in this change.

Plenty of forum posts on this

CC20 transform tool: Shift doesn't keep Aspect ratio

The new behaviour can be disabled.

To revert to the legacy transform behavior, do the following:

1. Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor on Mac OS to create a plain text file (.txt).
  2. Type the text belo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 479 Replies 479
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Proportional scaling (without holding Shift) is now a default. Holding Shift while scaling now behaves in precisely the opposite manner, despite decades of precedent and the fact that every other application uses Shift-drag for proportional scaling.

Why? Who knows. This is easily one of the most unnecessary and counterintuitive changes Adobe has ever made.

Details and instructions for how to disable it are at the link below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much. I followed the instructions and got it fixed. Still seems silly its not a simple check box somewhere

The "AppData" folder was a hidden folder so I had to make is show up by going to "View" and checking "Hidden Items"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank god this is working.

Changing something like this which worked the same way for years is not very useful...

1. Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor on Mac OS to create a plain text file (.txt).
  2. Type the text below in the text file:

TransformProportionalScale 0

3. Save the file as "PSUserConfig.txt" to your Photoshop settings folder:
    • Windows: [Installation Drive]:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings\
    • macOS: //Users/[User Name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that on a Mac the folder below is hidden. You will need to go to the finder and hit Shift-Command-G. Then hit "go."

• macOS: //Users/[User Name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dans52574335  wrote

This does not work.

I'm not sure exactly what you are saying doesn't work.

As far as the text file goes, at first it didn't work for me either on Mac. TextEdit on a Mac wants to use a .rtf extension. I had to get someone on a PC to make the text file. I'd post the file here but doesn't seem like that is an option. I'm an using Mac High Sierra 10.13.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a Mac and this worked. I opened TextEdit, went to File > New to start a new document. Then go to the top menu and select: Format > Make Plain Text.  Then paste the code in: TransformProportionalScale 0 and then follow the directions to save this .txt file into the appropriate location.

plaintext.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many Thanks, now it works with "Plain Text" !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in TextEdit, just open a new file then go to the Format menu and choose "make plain text" it will then save as a .txt file unless you say otherwise by naming the file. xxx.somethingotherthantxt

Hope that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having trouble getting to my user/library (Shift-Command-G.) to adjust this gawd awful scaling issue..this helps too

https://appletoolbox.com/2018/02/how-to-show-your-user-library-in-macos-high-sierra-and-sierra/

2. Type the text below in the text file:

TransformProportionalScale 0

3. Save the file as "PSUserConfig.txt" to your Photoshop settings folder:
    • Windows: [Installation Drive]:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings\

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need to make the text "plain text" and follow this to find the file to save the Text Edit to:

Or use the 'Go to folder…' command in finder (Shift + Apple + G)

Copy and paste the following into the dialogue box:

~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings/

…and that should take you to the folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used command+shift+G to find  Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings folder,

but there is no folder named like that.

Where can I find it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need anymore, just follow instructions in my post No. 146:
Re: Scaling Images with shift no longer works after update (20.0)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this didn't work for me. i checked the spelling and everything is correct. please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This still isn't working for me. There is no Library under my User Name folder. This update is going to make me lose my mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or use the 'Go to folder…' command in finder (Shift + Apple + G)

Copy and paste the following into the dialogue box:

~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings/

…and that should take you to the folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After an hour of looking for solutions that did it! Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has worked for me on Mac High Sierra 10.13.6.

Thank you for posting.

And Adobe Japan Support - this was a totally unnecessary update that caused more aggravation than it did helpfulness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me (PC), thank you very much.

@adobe think before doing nonsense modifications to a program that work well, thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank God AKS666 for this solution – it works! Last two days were cruel misery.

WTF Adobe? Seriously, I mean who thought this was good idea, who implemented it, tested it, approved and was absolutely sure this is good idea to change one of the basic shortcuts, used hundreds times a day and made it inconsitent with all other adobe apps, and even within Photoshop. And did it without simple checkbox to go back to previous behavior? What were you thinking? Why can't you change and develop things users really want, bugs that they report that are waiting for months, or even years?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's only copy and paste from this site :

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we should all ask for a credit on our CC subscriptions for the collective amount of our wasted time spent trying to fix something that was broken intentionally by Adobe. I'm certain it's past 7 figures right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Mac users — the Library folder in the described path is hidden by default. Go to the 'View' menu in Finder and enabled viewing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! @AKS666

giphy.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines