Scaling Images with shift no longer works after update (20.0)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to CC 2019, I am not longer able to scale images evenly simply by holding shift.

I went to keyboard shortcuts and found a "scale" shortcut that was unassigned, so i assigned it to "S" as it simply wouldn't let me assign shift:

Capture.JPG

Now it seems to only want to scale evenly and won't let me scale however I want simply by dragging the corner of the image. Sometimes it doesn't go evenly when I transform with Ctrl+T and scales evenly after I press S, but wont let me go back to scaling unevenly.

Any Ideas?

Proportional scaling (without holding Shift) is now a default. Holding Shift while scaling now behaves in precisely the opposite manner, despite decades of precedent and the fact that every other application uses Shift-drag for proportional scaling.

Why? Who knows. This is easily one of the most unnecessary and counterintuitive changes Adobe has ever made.

Details and instructions for how to disable it are at the link below.

New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

Topics

Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH MY GOD ADOBE! WHY HAVE YOU DONE THIS!?

Like others here, 23+ years of professional Photoshop use - since V3 back in 1995… and now you change such a fundamental part of the app?!

Not only that, it is now at-odds with the behaviour of other Adobe apps, such as InDesign.

And I thought the 'help' pop-ups and 'home screen' additions were annoying enough…

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is hands down the worst, dumbest update I've ever seen from Adobe. Why, why WHY?

I also cannot find the folder to put this text file in either, can anyone help?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tobyn88968509​ Hi! I think it's been said before. You have to make the Library folder visible since it's hidden by default.

Just…

1. Go to the Finder
  2. Open the Go menu
  3. Hit the "alt" key to display the Library
  4. Click on it to open it

I think you'll be able to keep going from there and find the Preferences folder

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or use the 'Go to folder…' command in finder (Shift + Apple + G)

Copy and paste the following into the dialogue box:

~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings/

…and that should take you to the folder.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has worked for me now. Thank god. I wonder what other surprises await me. I guarantee one of them will probably be reduced app performance.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh thank god for you - i was having trouble finding the correct folder location. this worked...i can breathe again!!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, me too. I found the pop ups and the helpful tips were so unnecessary and clutter up the interface.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree with you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of us are generally under deadlines. To encounter popups hovering right over my work (!@#$#@#) and then taking time out of my workflow to get rid of these hovering eyesores....and THEN to discover I can't proportionally size with the shift key? I've spent an hour of wasted time on a Friday evening at a job that should have taken 15 minutes....for no good reason at all.

Thanks, Adobe.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My sentiments exactly! OMG. This is so stupid. Why do they change such things? Seriously. I can't even get this to work proportionally AT ALL in my document. Of all the things they could add or modify and they choose this. Ugh.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What an absolute pain in the $%*£!! The simplest of tasks to create a quick visual became epic!! I have followed the instructions above and thankfully scaling now works as it did before the update!!! How much time did I waste?!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

perfect demo...Where is adobe in all of this? Not one comment!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its true, Adobe should be on this and reassuring their users... the fix above worked, but people should NOT have to make and edit files and folder systems! Not acceptable. Not everyone is as tech savy.

I have made the .txt file (you must convert it to a plain text file) and it works fine for those who are wondering.

Adobe sitting on their subscriptions and leaving us to it... this is industry leading software! Common adobe, give us a response?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not Photoshop, but Adobe CC 2019 related:

I rely on Bridge to quickly access files, scan images, etc everyday. After upgrading to CC 2019, Bridge went crazy.

It will no longer properly show image/document preview images. Which basically makes Bridge useless.

I did uninstall 2019/reinstall 2018 and 2018 works fine.

I have tried to purge the cache, delete all settings/reset, remove setting files from libraries, etc, etc, etc. but in the end I found 2018 to work.

Not sure if this is an isolated issue, but here's a screen grab of what I now see when trying to use Bridge 2019:

bridge2019.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sucks, but you might want to create a different topic for this one, doesn't seem like it has to do with the same issue.

Go here:

Photoshop

and click "Start a new discussion"  at the bottom of the page

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Nate said, you might want to start a new topic, but that looks like a GPU issue.

Try switching on Use Software Rendering in the Advanced section of the Bridge preferences.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lit UX, Adobe. Take the standard, central to your pro userbase’s workflow, and change it arbitrarily. I’m sure the soccer moms, new to Photoshop (torrented care of their pothead kid) will appreciate uniform scale being default though.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines