Highlighted

Scanning text & overlaying it on an image

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey, i want to scan an entry from my journal and insert the text into this portrait i took of someone, i want to put the words so they fit into the subjects face. However, I don't want the white background of my journal paper to show...

Can someone pls tell me how I can remove the background and keep the handwritten entry & how to insert the handwritten words into the face (i don't want the words to run off her face either).

thanks!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by norman.sanders | Adobe Community Professional

Fig_.png

I assume you would like to keep the green tint to the type. To place the lyrics on a transparent layer I suggest the Blend If command.

Here goes:

1. Add a blank layer below the image layer.

2, Double-click in the blank area of the image layer to bring up Layer Style.

3. In the Blend if section, slide the top right marker to the left until the green background becomes transparent

4. Choose Layer > Merge Visible

To have the lyrics follow the contour of the face you would use a technique that includes the Displacement Command. I have prepared a pdf for my students on this technique; step by step instructions with photographs. If you would like a copy, just send me a private message with your email. address.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Scanning text & overlaying it on an image

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey, i want to scan an entry from my journal and insert the text into this portrait i took of someone, i want to put the words so they fit into the subjects face. However, I don't want the white background of my journal paper to show...

Can someone pls tell me how I can remove the background and keep the handwritten entry & how to insert the handwritten words into the face (i don't want the words to run off her face either).

thanks!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by norman.sanders | Adobe Community Professional

Fig_.png

I assume you would like to keep the green tint to the type. To place the lyrics on a transparent layer I suggest the Blend If command.

Here goes:

3. In the Blend if section, slide the top right marker to the left until the green background becomes transparent

To have the lyrics follow the contour of the face you would use a technique that includes the Displacement Command. I have prepared a pdf for my students on this technique; step by step instructions with photographs. If you would like a copy, just send me a private message with your email. address.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 28, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us, what program you are using to do your edits so that we can move the post to the correct forum. I suppose it's either Photoshop (CC) or Photoshop Elements.

Regards,
Abambo
Hard- and Software Engineer and Photographer

I'm not an Adobe employee. All advice constitutes my own opinion. Use at your risk! 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 29, 2018 0
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i was trying to do so in illustrator and photoshop cc

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 29, 2018 0
Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Discussion successfully moved from Adobe Creative Cloud to Photoshop

Regards,
Abambo
Hard- and Software Engineer and Photographer

I'm not an Adobe employee. All advice constitutes my own opinion. Use at your risk! 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 29, 2018 0
Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chances are the journal entry will not scan as a pure white paper surface. To determine whether a simple Curve (or Levels) correction with Multiply blending mode would be adequate, or whether the  Blend If  or other method would be best it would help if you posted a sample of the scan.

As for fitting the writing within. confined area, the Edit > Transform > Scale seems appropriate.

__insert image.jpg

[EDIT] One thing more: do you want the writing to follow the contour of the surface of the face?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 29, 2018 1
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I would like for the text to fit the contour of the face. i've attached the scanImage-1.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 29, 2018 0
Enthusiast ,
Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So first I would desaturate it.

Image > Adjustments > Desaturate

Then boost Brightness and Contrast until you are getting a clear black and white separation between the paper and the ink.

Now copy and paste that layer over the image you want the text to float above. This will give you a layer above that photo image layer.

If you want to keep black ink and remove the white paper, then set the Layer Blend Mode to Multiply. If you need it to be inverted so the ink is White and not Black so that it will stand on out the picture. Then on the Journal layer go up to Image > Adjustments > Invert. That will give you a negative image. Now instead of using Multiply as the Blend Mode, use Screen. It's the opposite of Multiply.

This should accomplish your desired effect. If you want it only in the face area, you need to do some erasing or masking on the journal layer.

See screenshots below.

Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 11.55.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 11.55.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 11.57.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 11.59.24 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 29, 2018 0
Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fig_.png

Here goes:

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 29, 2018 0
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CAn i get a copy of that pdf? my email is valeria429@gmail.com pleaseeeee

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 15, 2020 0